1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux for newbies

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by glitchzoo, Jul 19, 2006.

1. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

hey iv never really used linux before and i just want to know one thing really;

what is the best liunx, one that can run exe programs and games est.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

There are none, as linux doesn't run .exe's.
    There are ways to play games though.

3. DMW

DMW Regular member

Depending on the games you want to play you may be ok. Some games do have native Linux clients, but the number is very small and is the only reason I keep XP on my system now.

As for running exe files, you can't do it on a standard Linux envronment, you would have to set up Wine and hope your program is compatible. Wine can be a nightmare of its own to setup, but if you get it setup correctly and have a supported program it works ok.

Cedega or crossover office would be other options, I have ran a few windows programs under Cedega for testing and they worked flawlessly, but only 1 game.

Under Wine : VSO Divx2DVD - Perfect (after sorting out an annoying windows font problem)
    DVD2ONE - Perfect (again after font issue)

Under Cedega : Couterstrike Source - Perfect, 5 less frames than under windows :(
    Quickpar - perfect no issue

Also any program I ran under wine ran under Cedega without messing with fonts

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

The easiest would be to set up a virtual machine (possible on any *nix system) and run Windows on it, so you can still play your games and use .exe's.

5. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

does wine run on any version of linux? and asw i was also asking what is the best most reliable liunx avalibal at the moment?

6. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

the frend how would you do that then? and on what operating system?

7. DMW

DMW Regular member

Yeah I've got a virtual build of windows that I use when using X-fire, because I couldn't get it working at all under Linux, but I'm unable to run most games because of the virtual graphics drivers VMware uses.

Not sure which is the most reliable Linux so I can't say too much there. You could run a virtual machine on windows or Linux, but the benefits are on the Linux side. You could run Linux and for any apps that didn't work, fire up your virtual windows install and away you go.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

There is no "most reliable" linux, your best bet is to try some Live distributions. As for Wine, it runs on any linux.
    And as for the Virtual Machines, you can use them on ANY linux or Unix based client.
    It creates an emulated enviroment that simulates your computer's specs, to which you could install anything, from another linux distro to any kind of windows.

9. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

ok cool.
    [q]Yeah I've got a virtual build of windows that I use when using X-fire, because I couldn't get it working at all under Linux, but I'm unable to run most games because of the virtual graphics drivers VMware uses.

[q/]
    how can i get this virtual build of windows then? and will it run on any versio of linux?

10. DMW

DMW Regular member

The easiest way is to get Vm worstation. This creates a virtual machine using as much HDD as you allow. Then you install windows as you would on a normal PC.

There is a VMplayer which is free, for running pre-built operating systems and this cn be messed with to allow you to install an OS, but it's nowhere near as easy as using workstation. But it's free :)

Both workstation and player work perfectly on linux. (providing you download the Linux versions :) )

Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    Workstation http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/
    Workstation trial http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/eval.html

11. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

12. DMW

DMW Regular member

No Problem, have fun.

13. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

will do :)

14. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

then why don't you build a Virtual Machine in windows and run linux

however i know nothing bout linux so i'll be asking

in a couple of days i'll be getting a dual core AMD what's my best choice for linux (i'll be just using it to get to know the linux enviroment more so i am looking 4 a 64bit version and pretty easy for beginers

thx

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@Retro_rc - 'fraid you're gonna have to shrink that sig pic down, it's too tall (size limits are in my sig); i personally would recommend Mandriva 64-bit on your AMD, i use it as my main OS (incredibly easy to use/maintain), however live cd's are definitely worth trying out to see what works/what you like for you.

16. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

nice a dual core AMD that will be very fast aparenly amd is realy fast and a 2 ghz processor is more like a 5 ghz processor due to its very big catch.
    im thinking about getting an amd computer msely as intel are slow and to expencive.
    Retro_rc are you going to get the most expencive motherboard?

17. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

i'll tell you what i'll bring to make it short
    prehaps the site should make "Best Computer Build Of The Week"

Amd 4600++ from http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA22666&CartID=done&nextloc=

Motherboard ~$100
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...15973&Type=PE&Category=Comp&Gad=0&dcaid=15890

HDD seagate barracuda 320gb ~$100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140&ATT=22-148-140&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

corsair 1gb ram pc6400 800mhz XMS series ~$100
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...=C13-3020&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&CMP=OTC-SHOPPING

vga card 512mb a geforce chipset can't remember what uses only a heatsink
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...=N82E16814121007&MainItemList=N82E16814121007

u may need a liqiud cooler for your vga card
    i'll prefer thermaltake's tide all in one
    and u'll also like thermaltakes big wates 735 and t type thingy
    all at www.xoxide.com
    u'll find the t type thingy in the Water cooling accessories
    the big water thingy in the kits
    and search for the other on your own you'll end up paying around $900
    over really good hardware that u'll enjoy

hopefully i helped

18. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

well you did :),
    im thinking about getting an amd computer becaus there better then intel

19. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Who said that? I have Intel pretty damn good one too P4 3.2 Ghz w/HT.....AMD are better in certain aspects, so are Intel. And with Intel's newer proccesors coming out I think will be the leading edge technology until AMD comes out with something better...It's like a big competition(lol). But I'm not stopping you with your opinion.

And besides if you are wanting to get a new PC for Linux.....You don't need a "top of the line" PC.....Linux can run on legacy systems with very low proccessing power even 400MHZ (I think).

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- indeed, i use a few P3 866's for my Linux boxes and a few XP boxes too; depends what you want to use Linux for; when it comes to the odd PC game, i use XP so don't need over-specced PC's for Linux anyway