1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux for newbies

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by glitchzoo, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

linux can run with only 8 mb of ram
    and very low processing

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I'm pretty sure you can 't run linux on 8MB RAM. That is definentley too low to actually use it as a workstation, and I think that won't even run a server with just the base system. I think it has to be atleast 64MB.

3. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

well on my new computer if i get it i will have linux and windows :0 and i want a fast computer for games est

4. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

some old versions can run with 8mb

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

heh heh heh..you can run *nix on anything with 16K or more..
    Forget those brand new state of the art systems with linux..the support and drivers lag behind a bit on the release of new hardware. All the Linux distro's advise not buying this weeks graphics card because the drivers will not be there. (somebody may know this) has anybody sorted out the 3d acceleration issue yet?..

Just a giggle with the creakster.. Posted from a P90 running DSL wilh 8MB ram..

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Jan's right there re graphics when it comes to *nix, this isn't Microsoft, takes a little while for driver support to filter thru in the *nix world.
    Wow a P90 with 8MB ram, you're just too hardcore. I recall paying £120 for 4MB of ram for my first store-bought PC back in around 1996 for my new £1800 (good grief!) 'high-spec' 486 DX2-66; i doubled the original 4MB ram so i could try to play the demo of the first Quake game.

Anyways, i still have a creaky old PC with a 486 cpu with tiny little ram sticks (i think 32MB ram!!) sat in the hall, it has run Mandrake Linux in the past quite nicely; gonna resurrect it for a laugh when i get chance, it has the proverbial Matrox Millenium graphics card, or a spare Matrox Mystique. I'll probably put DSL on there

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

upgraded tonight. Now a cyrix m2 running ubuntu, yes I changed my passwords, and I don't care if it gets hacked anyway. It's only a stopgap. It's got an onboard Matrox 8MB graphics device (moving images and action cause tearing on the left side of the screen at 1024x768) A little better than last nights foray into the darkside of emergency computing..thank the spirits for linux..I don't have anything working that will actually run xp.

My main beast is booting now..but debian seems to have got lost somewhere. When I have time I'll post my findings as to what to do when it reboots instead of starting x. Never had linux do that before. It's like I have swapped the drive into a different machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  8. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

hmm how come they wont run xp? i know xp in my views is poorly programmed compared to other windows versions and systems :( espicially sp2, that ruins windows and everythink starts crashing est.

9. creaky

the slowest thing i've run XP on (and got acceptable performance) was a Celeron 433 i think it was, can't remember exact CPU now ie i i thnk that was a Pentium 2 Celeron 433, quite some years ago now

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

XP sp2 staggers on anything less than a p3 600, whereas if you neuter the fancy graphics then debian and slackware 9on the 2.4 kernel) will run fine on anything above a p133..just cram as much ram in it as you can find, and keep the screen resolution 640x480.

Report on the big crash.. Not recoverable. fatal error in the xserver, no screens detected. Lost device eth1, my internet connection. Lost device eth0, my internal network connection. Lost device, hardware clock, which seems to be the real cause of the non boot..no system reference clock. Learned a few more things about debian in the process. Took the opportunity to change some hardware about and upgrade to the 2.6 kernel (see, I'm feeling so positive I'm determined to get some good out of it)...
    It's the best excuse going for having a seperate /home drive. I haven't even lost my bookmarks, wallpaper or settings. Even my website passwords have survived. Remember that one, it's the best trick I have ever learned.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  11. creaky

yeah i always build big servers at work with separate home areas, very sound advice

12. janrocks

janrocks Guest

gah..this 2.6 kernel sucks. everything is wrong, so many broken dependencies I'm wondering how it even manages to run.. a little example..

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386: Depends: initrd-tools (>= 0.1.63) but it is not going to be installed
    unrar: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3 is to be installed
    Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.2) but 1:3.4.3-13 is to be installed
    Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.2-4) but 3.4.3-13 is to be installed

What a bag of crap!! I'm going back to 2.4..that worked.
    What is the mission with thios crap kernel dependencies issue anyway.. initrd-tools not going to be installed.. Are they on drugs?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2006
  13. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Newer debians always suck, i'll stick with patched up older versions...

14. creaky

(creaky strokes one of his 2.6kernel Mandriva boxes, bless!)

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Aaah, but ye should not forget, young padawan, that mandriva is based on a comercial product, and therefore will be less flawed.. :)

16. creaky

A-ha Master Yoda, a reason why i recommend it so much for newbies :p

17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I still say mandriva lacks *for me* in a few places, but i do have to admit that 64 bit version looks pretty damn good.

18. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Cured...just compiled my own with the RIGHT modules in it..

Had a nice flame on the debian forums too..posted a huge list of broken dependencies in the 2.6 kernel section.. That'll give the developers something to chew on, and stuck my platform independent compile on some public torrent sites. That should shake them up enough to get some digits extracted from certain dark orifices.

Actually the one I built on this machine for this machine now runs really well. took out all the drivers I don't need, and all the support for AMD/Nvidia etc. It boots fast and looks smart..just remember kids..it's the X86Config4 file on the 2.6 kernel. ;-)