1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux ISO with beryl installed download

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by chris4585, Mar 23, 2007.

1. chris4585

chris4585 Member

basicly, i want to know if anyone knows of a good linux distro that already has beryl/xgl installed on it, simple easy download of a ISO???

links and or name please :)

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

None that I know of.

As it's a side project and still experimental I don't think any of the mainstream distros will include it in the immediate future.

The problem is hardware, *nix has to have backwards compatability with older and unusual hardware.

An add-on desktop manager is easy enough to add to your existing working system, but it may not work well with your hardware.

Check the main site out, installation and everything else you need...
    http://forum.beryl-project.org/

*nix isn't supposed to be "one click" easy, it's meant to be fast and effective.. pretty isn't our main aim. I think a desktop manager that is as hardware hungry as beryl is a move in the wrong direction.. I prefer to use cpu cycles for more important things than pretty...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  3. chris4585

chris4585 Member

ah, thanks, reason i asked was, i dont have linux right now, although i have plenty on cds ready to use sometime or another. My hardware isnt the best for beryl i know that for sure

760mhz, 384mb ram, pentium 3... i want a older laptop *searches*

thanks!

4. whompus

whompus Active member

I haven't tried it. I did notice that sabayon has beryl on there live distro.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Sorry.. not a hope really. It may just about work, but needs at least a 2 ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram..

On that machine you will find debian etch will work pretty well, It won't crash anyway, and will feel a lot faster than xp.. as long as you keep a track of open applications.

6. chris4585

chris4585 Member

yeah, but what can you say when i got this machine for free or given to me LOL

i'm downloading sabayon, i'll try and test it today

thanks janrocks

7. chris4585

chris4585 Member

and whompus******

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member