1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Programs

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by iPirate, Aug 27, 2006.

1. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Hey, Im switching to Linux (SuSe 10.1) and I have almost all my programs I need, I found. But I run a website and I need a program that I can edit/make/save fla and swf files. So basically a Macromedia Flash MX port to Linux.
    Also I have this digital camera, Innovage Mini Digital Camera, and does anyone know if this will run/open with linux?
    Also I use PS CS2, is GimpShop good? I may use WINE if needed.

And is it hard to install programs on Linux?

Thanks.

2. Jannejt

Jannejt Moderator Staff Member

do you need some drivers with windows or does it just show as removable device like usb stick - if like usb stick, im 100% sure that it's works..

and dont know how hardcore CS2 user you are, but u can test gimp if it's enought :)

and installing is easy, just find right .rpm's and Yast will do installing :) no anymore next, next, next, (that's difficult, lol) things :) only one click the .rpm packet and it will be installed.. of course with rpm's there's depency problems etc. sometimes which makes it little difficult.. =/

edit: and that's useful for wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

thanks, well im running SuSe now, I like it but I am harding problems sorta. See I cant view videos online, i think there windows media player. Is there a plugin.

Also Im going to Get GimpShop so it resembles CS2.

Also how can I optimize SuSe for my machine as I kinda bumps but its faster than XP though.

4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

What proccesor do you have? I can tell you what type of kernal to get to optimize speed. Also you need to install the mplayer plugin for firefox to watch video online.

5. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Thanks, I have a Intel Celeron M 1.4GHz CPU

oh lol how do will you have a guide to install the kernal?

6. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Ok the Default is i386 or i586 I believe. I'm not familiar with RPM package system but I searched for the i686 kernel and couldn't find it...I'm not sure if SusE supports it. You are gonna have to go to thier forums and ask if they have the i686 kernel as that will best suit your CPU

7. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Well i switched over to Ubuntu, and I like that better. Thanks so now ill get that file.

is there a default root password? I wasnt asked for one on install and i cant download of synaptics

sorry for being a noob in linux but also but look:

Search results for gtkpod :
    SuSE 10.X packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.1/x86_64/gtkpod-0.99.4-4.x86_64.rpm
    SuSE 10.X packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.0/x86_64/gtkpod-0.99.4-4.x86_64.rpm
    SuSE 9.X packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/9.3/x86_64/gtkpod-0.99.4-4.x86_64.rpm
    SuSE 10.X packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.0/i586/gtkpod-0.99.4-4.i586.rpm
    SuSE 9.X packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/9.3/i586/gtkpod-0.99.4-4.i586.rpm
    SuSE 10.X packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.1/i586/gtkpod-0.99.4-4.i586.rpm
    Other www.pclinuxos.com/apt/pclinuxos/2004/RPMS.updates/gtkpod-0.99.4-3tex.i586.rpm
    Mandrake Other plf.zarb.org/plf/mandrake/free/cooker/x86_64/gtkpod-0.99.4-3plf2007.0.x86_64.rpm
    Mandrake Other plf.zarb.org/plf/mandrake/free/cooker/i586/gtkpod-0.99.4-3plf2007.0.i586.rpm

Thats just an example of the list, but i have Ubuntu, what do I pick?

Oh and I seen on DL.TV a 3D cube that had differant screens on the monitor, does anyone know the system requirements?

Well since ive been waiting i have another problem.

I open the Synaptic Package Manager and get the following error, How do I fix it?

W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release i386 (20051012) breezy/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%205.10%20%5fBreezy%20Badger%5f%20-%20Release%20i386%20(20051012)_dists_breezy_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release i386 (20051012) breezy/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%205.10%20%5fBreezy%20Badger%5f%20-%20Release%20i386%20(20051012)_dists_breezy_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com breezy-updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com breezy-updates/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-updates_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Man I dont want to double post here

Why cant i login into root? I didnt set a password, so what is it?

8. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Your Ubuntu is a version behind. The latest is 6.06

9. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

thanks. I got the new dapper version. Solved my problems, but maybe you'll know, how can i install the plugin for RhythmBox Music Player. I need the mp3 support.

I typed this in the terminal
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins

but i get an error saying it didnt find the package, so do you know where to get it from?

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I don't use Ubuntu, but can't you do a search in Synaptic? It should go out to the web and locate the package.

11. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

I thank you for your help but please if you dont know why post?

I said I search, downloaded it but got an error.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Us linux people don't use ALL distributions, but we know enough about Linux in general to offer advice. I myself don't use Ubuntu but am sure the solution to your problem is real easy. Linux is such that a lot of self-help is necessary, it's all good practice in troubleshooting

13. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

So then you say I should try linux orientated forums, where there are more people knowledgable in my disto?

14. creaky

not necessarily. doplhin2 has given you some clues, you just need to take it from there.. see how far you get and we can still help you out. I myself live on google so am sure i could fine the answers if i looked. Troubleshooting stuff is easy, it's just knowing where to look :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  15. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

I know but on the apt-get thing in the terminal i get an error so i will figure it out.

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Thats what you get for using a second rate distro IMHO *no pun intended here*.
    Ubuntu is, and will be for quite some time, a security risk, and a badly compiled distro, since it's still in it's infancy.
    I suggest you try a more reliable distro like Fedora Core, OpenSuSE, Mandriva/Mandrake, Gentoo, or some other distro that's been around for a while.
    I dare to bet things will be far less problematic.

17. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Well i think i will have to give Fedora a try then. Is it more polished than Ubuntu? Also is it hardware demanding, i dont have a fance video card. Intel one, came with laptop. Celeron M 1.4GHz 512MB Ram

Edit im downloading Bordeaux DVD i386 Fedora Core 5

Edit twice, On Ubuntu theres a feature called Synaptic Package Manager, is there the same on Fedora?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  18. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Almost any linux will work with what it's given, as Linux distro's are usually made to suit several kinds of systems.
    As for Fedora, it should run ok on your system, as it's not too demanding, graphics wise.

19. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Fiend I got Fedora now, but one thing, how can I change to default text size without having to make it bigger in firefox?

20. creaky

you can use "Ctrl -" and "Ctrl +" in firefox ?