1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liquid Cooling! I need advice!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by j0rdanzz, Jan 23, 2008.

1. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

For the system you can see below, i was a liquid cooling system that will effectively cool my CPU, Both Grapics Cards, and if recommended RAM/Storage/Chipset also. I have looked at a few both intel (mounted) and external. I quite like the idea of an external unit. I want something effective but not overly big.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not quite in the spirit of the thread, but I'd advise against watercooling your system unless you really know what you're doing. Firstly, the solution is to never use pre-built kits, they're rubbish. Also, WC kits are prone to mistakes. If something you do causes a leak, even with non-conductive fluid you can easily damage your hardware. For most people except extreme overclockers I recommend going with top-line air coolin, in this case a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme for the CPU, and a pair of HR-03GT coolers for the graphics cards.

3. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

Ok, thanks. I keep hearing this term 'extreme overcloxker', what is an extreme overclocke? they overclock alot or they really overclock their equipment? Also even though it is not related to cooling is overclocking graphics cards a waste of time?

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Pretty much. From 777Mhz to 860 on the core of my 3870, in Crysis there appears to only be a maximum of 5FPS gained. It helps in 3dmark06, but not as much in gaming. When I first started overclocking, I though there would be a huge improvement - like 15FPS, but it was far from that.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's relative. If I overclock my graphics card, I can get up to an extra 20% out of it. A 3870 probably won't fare so well as it's already the best in its class, so it will have been made to be as fast as possible to begin with.

An extreme overclocker is someone who will go to the ends of the earth go get a higher clock speed on their equipment, whether this means watercooling, voltage changes, modifying already-good equipment, whatever it takes to get the best performance possible.