1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Listen to an Instrumental and Only Record Vocals

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Matador, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Matador

Matador Regular member

Well Im trying to record some vocals for an Instrumental.But I want to be able to listen to the song in the background of my Headphones and be able to record only what I say into the MIC.Im using Nero Wave Editor to do this...And in Audio Properties I unmuted the MIC settings So I can listen to what Im saying in the Headphones.But when I press record it records both vocal and Song.Will I have to invest in some pro software that doesn't care what your playing or whatever just record from a device like a MIC?It doesn't make that much sense if you guys need more info I'll give it to you.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you need a multi-track editing system such as Pro Tools, you can't do what you want with consumer-based 2 channel audio programs.

3. Matador

Matador Regular member

How about Adobe Audition?Will that work?

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well its only a two track editor, just like nero and sound forge, so if you want to combine multiple tracks (vocals and multiple instruments) than you're going to need something that handles more than two tracks.

5. zildjian

zildjian Member

Well I have my DJ equipment hooked up to my computer(2 denon dn s300 and a x1500 mixer) I use sony sound forge to record and it does a great job I have laid many vocals on insturments to use out while I am dj'n.

6. Lyoooha

Lyoooha Member

Guys, which Windows based application comes closest to Pro tools, to record and manage multiple streams of different instruments?

I have a windows computer and also plan on recording tracks: vocal, 2-3 instruments, maybe a beat in BG.... im a beginner but do not want a beginner application.

I am willing to spend good money on fine sound card.
    I have no idea what sound card is best for recording guitar on computer.

Maybe it is even better to use a guitar processor and input the sound via USB to computer, istead of direct input?

any suggestions wwelcome

thank you very much

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Pro Tools is for windows. It works on Windows XP only though. Other multi track editors for windows are Cubase and Reason

8. Matador

Matador Regular member

Is SONAR 5 Producer Edition any good?Lyoooha:|PreSonus FIREBOX| Looks pretty good for an alternative to a soundcard. http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html And has many features.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

at $300 its pretty pricey, why not just get a MBOX for under $500 which is the same thing except by digidesign (makers of Pro Tools) and it comes with Pro Tools LE 6. A damn good deal...

10. mikedeals

mikedeals Member

Um, Adobe Audition is a multitrack recorder as well. Very powerful at that. Reason is strictly for making music NOT editing wavs etc. It sounds like you need a full duplex audio card. Something along the lines of the Audiophile 2496 PCI or a firewire based unit like M-Audio 410.

When it comes to Protools, you have to be careful what system you put it on, because they have strict guides as to what's supported and what's not. In other words ProTools works best on certain configurations.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

adobe audition is a stereo (two channel) editing system...it is not a multi track editor.

Pro Tools LE 6 operates on all windows XP systems and MAC OS X.

I have been teaching audio production for five years now, and for the price, Pro Tools is a very wise investment. You can purchase decent consumer level editors such as Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge or Nero Wave Editor or Adobe Audition for ~$100, but if you are looking to get into professional editing, a basic Pro Tools MBOX setup is a bargain for its immense capabilities. It is the standard utility for the music industry as well as the tv/film industry.

12. mikedeals

mikedeals Member

This is plain misinformation. Audition IS a multitrack system! I use it! Been using it for years. Do you define multitrack editor as something else?

Let's look at the latest 2.0: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/pdfs/audition2_whats_new.pdf
    This is straight from Adobe, "The new features in Adobe Audition 2.0 make it a great upgrade from previous versions, with unlimited track capacity, up to 80 simultaneous live inputs, integrated waveform editing and mixing, wide-ranging effects and noise reduction tools, CD burning, looping, surround sound, and integrated audio editing for video projects."

Now let's watch a video clip. For this, however, you'll need to visit tutorials on the Propellerheads site and watch clips 1 and 2 - http://www.propellerheads.se//support/reason/rewire/index.cfm?fuseaction=audition# Did the guy not just show how to Rewire Reason into Audition? Mind you Reason has up to 64 outputs and you could send these to separate tracks in Audition.

Yes, but anyone purchasing a ProTools system of any kind would be wise to follow Digidesigns suggested hardware for best results. Digidesign Product Compatibility Documents - http://digidesign.com/compato/ The user forum there is a great resource too for more up to date info and hardware not listed by Digidesign.

ProTools is a standard, but not the only game in town. With the new features between Audition, Premiere, and After Effects, you have a VERY powerful multimedia suite. If you're making music, you have many many options other than PT like MOTU, M-Audio, etc. After all it's not exactly the setup, but what you do with it.

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the new version of adobe audition (2.0) is apparently a multi-track editor, I have only been familiar with the original 1.0 version, so that is my mistake.

About Pro Tools, it uses its own proprietary hardware, so I'm not sure what these compatibility issues are you keep referring to.

Premiere and After Effects are for video editing, and don't offer much in the way of audio editing skills. If you have audio editing/recording to do, then you of course would rather use pro tools then premiere, and if you want to create video effects, then use after effects.

14. mikedeals

mikedeals Member

Version 1.0, when it was Syntrillium's project, had 64 tracks. This is back in 97. http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/1997/Cool-Edit-Pro.html

Bottom line is it really isn't protools vs audition. It's what goes into it and how you manipulate it. I know a dj/producer who's done music exclusively in Audition. I'm talking stuff you'd associate with being created using samplers. He learned AA inside out and can basically leave most sampler based producers in the dust.

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I agree, it isn't one vs. another. audtion and sound forge, no matter how good they are, are still consumer, or maybe prosumer based. pro tools is a full-blown professional system. but like you said, its the content. you can have a $250,000 full HD Pro Tools system, but if you record crap its still gonna sound like crap. But you can make very decent recordings with consumer software. my only point is that if you have a decent budget, a ~$500 MBOX with Pro Tools is an exceptional deal.