1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lite on 1633s

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by burnerguy, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Incosol

Incosol Member

Will check when i get home. I assume that it should be ?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  2. Incosol

Incosol Member

Yes, DMA is enabled and I have toggled to check the setting is operating.

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

is it hooked up to the right ribbon cable? if i remember correctly, the top one is the master and the bottom slot is the slave. make sure it is in the top so it will be master

4. Incosol

Incosol Member

It is not currently hooked up that way. I will alter it ias you suggest. I have not come accross cable select before so did not realise this.

5. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

i had it. it's awful for ps2 games and general burning. takes long to start and it doesn't work at all.

i switch back to my nu ddw-082. they work 99% of the time. better than 0%.

6. Dynochem

Dynochem Member

ALWAYS set your burner to master and the other drive to slave (preferably slaved to the hard drive to leave your burner as a stand-alone master)
    This may be stating the obvious... but also make sure you are using a good quality 80 pin Ultra DMA IDE cable, not one of the older 40 pin cables.

7. shulkman

shulkman Member

I've been playing the same game as you burnguy, but with a twist. I got my lite-on 1633S from Newegg back around Nov 22. And just to clear up hardware "issues" I run a Gawd awful Compaq, 1.3Ghz Celeron, 384Mb RAM, two 40GB Hard drives... so definatly not a powerhouse system. Using my First drive with a spindle of 100 4X DVD+R disks, I was able to burn any movie I wished and it would work on all the DVD players in my house. To burn the movies I used Nero 6.6 and DVD Shrink. I did have a couple disks out of the batch that did Slow down for no reason. I would come back the computer and find that I'm stuck at 52% and it's moving like mollases. I chalked it up to the El-Cheapo Disks that I got from Newegg. I wish I could give the brand but the label was tossed long ago. Anyways, the first drive came with the Firmware that came before BSOR, it worked great after I changed to BSOR as well. Then, because of a little physical defect with the tray, I ended up RMA'ing it back to newegg, and when I recieved the new drive it came with BSOR firmware. I plugged in the drive properly and immediately upgraded to the BSOS firmware, thinking it would solve the intermittent slowdown problem. Then I tried burning a disk, and it did burn fine, no slowdowns in the 8 disks that I burned with the 2nd burner, [bold]BUT[/bold]there was a problem. Not a single disk burned from the 2nd burner would function on the 2 GE DVD players in the house, although the disks burned with the first burner played just fine. (Sidenote: The disks from the second burner did play on one DVD player-- a "Norcent" Brand DVD Player. I have yet to figure out why the Walmart $30 special could read the disks and the $85 "GE" could not) I checked everything, and the only thing that changed in that time was the Drive itself, and the Firmware. Nero had not had an upgrade in that time so I couldn't blame it. So I set up another RMA and have just recently gotten the replacement drive from newegg, with the trusty BSOR firmware. I'll be smarter this time and test it before I consider upgrading firmware. So even though I don't have a concrete answer, this should let you know that you ain't the only one with Gremlins with the lite-on drive.