1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bvs, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bvs

bvs Member

Hello people,
    my verbatim dvd-r's seem to be incompatible with this drive (LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S). it works all the way till 99%, and just would not reach 100%. the light keeps blinking at the eject button doesn't respond. i use nero burning rom & the burning window just freezes there.
    i burn 6x700MB video files onto the dvd, and with different sets of video files, the same problem exists. does anyone face this problem as well? any solutions?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Verbatim discs are usually very good media, and should work well with any LiteOn drive. Have you tried another brand of disc, to know that it's the Verbatims that are the problem?

Is Nero the only software you're using?
    Go here, and see the guides provided. Use one of the step by step guides, and see if you get better results.......
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/
    Good luck!

3. bvs

bvs Member

thx for the reply:)
    nope i haven't, but i did try doing the same thing using verbatim's dvd+rw (if this problem persists, i might be looking at about 120 potential coasters :( )

perhaps i did not make myself clear, sorry about that. what i'm trying to do is to burn the .avi files direct onto the dvd, without converting them to .vob/dvd format (as is what most of the guides in the site you gave me seems to be trying to tell me to do)
    after restarting the pc and retrieving the stuck dvd, the first 5 videos seem to work fine while the 6th (last one to be burnt) won't play. seeking is also a major problem and can take up to 10 minutes to get from 1 folder to another (even when accessing the first 5 vids). oh, and the dvd-ram driver 'sees' the dvd as written, but having 0bytes of data, so had to pop it into the dvd-rom (LiteON DVD SHD-16P1S)

so this is what i tried - burn 6 videos, and finally include a small file (in this case, an installer for a video player) before starting to burn. as i expected, all 6 videos burnt thru, and the burn process got stuck again at 99%, while the installer was being written. seeking is still a problem.

4. bvs

bvs Member

and yea, i'm only using nero to burn it. is there a better dvd-burning suite you would recommend me trying? i thought of alcohol120% but it only seems to do .iso-dvd burning. in the long run, converting everything to iso before burning might not seem like the best option.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

Nero is one of the best........
    Check for firmware update?
    Uninstall and reinstall the drive, through the Device Manager?
    Any particular reason you don't want to convert the avi files, to dvd type files?

Maybe someone else has some ideas..........

6. bvs

bvs Member

well mainly it's to save time, besides if i want to extract the video file frm dvd to my hdd in the future, i'd have to reconvert it again, don't i?

7. JVC

JVC Active member

No.........software dvd players play VOB files. Afterall, that's what dvd files are. I'm sure though that AVI files take up less space on the HD.

Just curious............once burned to dvd, why would you want to put them back on the pc?

8. bvs

bvs Member

well, someone might want it, and it'd be easier to share if it's on my pc.
    y? is there a problem with burning video files as avi onto dvd ie dvd is meant to 'take' only vob?

9. JVC

JVC Active member

I've never used an AVI file, so I have no idea.
    I just remember seeing people say they convert them to dvd files. I have no idea why, or how, since I've not done it personally.

10. bvs

bvs Member

it's alright, thx a lot for your feedback :)
    does anyone know a solution to my problem?