1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LITEON 5005 OR LITEON 5005X

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by aztec1, Nov 8, 2005.

1. KimTx

KimTx Guest

As an alternative for blank media try any of these.

Fuji
    Maxell
    Sony

Memorex is the absolute worst, made by CMC Magnetics. They are the worst of the worst. Good idea to take those back and get something else.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

For the firmware updates and hacks, use CD-R and make sure to finalize (or close session) the disc ..

As far as the brand of DVD .. +R and +RW discs work better than -R and -RW .. The brand? Well, neither of my 5005 units seem to like Taiyo Yuden made discs .. this has been a sticky point since my BenQ gets the best burns with 'em .. rhw 5005 units love Verbatim, all Maxell, MIT Sony and Ritek .. I have never tried CMAG/Memorex (maybe they work, maybe not) ..and the Verbatim +RW are excellent as well as the Philips produced HP +RW discs (the BenQ won't write well to the HP, bur reads 'em very well)

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

catfreak- My Liteon 5005 arrived yesterday have opened the box & looked at manual & accesories but have'nt installed it as of yet ! mt question is ? Now that I have it do I install the 3 hr. mode & if so where do I find the upgrade ? Is it on LIteon's website? Also is ir worth doing IE: Is it a uograde in resolution over 4hr. mode or just same quality at 3hrs . imstaed of 4hrs. I think per your posting That I may do the region free trick but Prefer to stick with the factory fw either what it came with or latest if it needs to upgrade! Also Does itsay anywhere in the manual or paperwork which firmware I have ? I have perused the manual & it does'nt mention the 3HR. speed at all so I assume it isn'nt currently enabled ! Also I remember youposting something about the Serial number & it having to do with upgrading or downgrading your FW ! As I have only this Liteon 5005 recorder and the Philips ( Disc Error ) Broken one ! woukld it make sense for me to do so Upgrade/downgrade ? Well catfreak! I have bothered you enough but you are the goto man for this product so I apologize for monoplizing your wisdom! Thanks again ! & Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

As fae as the 3 hour hack .. it is a hack, not authorized by LiteOn so I'm not sure what it will do to your warranty status (the LVW-5005 has a 1 year, parts and labor warranty!) The resolution is the same with the 3hr and 4hr mode, the only difference is the bit-rate ...

The serial number that I posted about in the past refers to a particular machine's configuration .. Go to the following link .. it explains how to find that number and how to find out if a newer firmware is available ..

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/download/index.asp

In most cases, you will need to burn 2 CDs to upgrade your firmware .. 1 for the drive firmware and 1 for the system firmware .. Personally, if a machine works well, I'd leave well enough alone .. I waited 10 months or so before I did anything with mine and that was because I wanted my old unit and my new unit to have matching firmware ..

Most of the firmware upgrades are to enable the recorder to use the newest media (ie 16x) so your's should be okay ..

One last point BIGTOXY69, don't ever apoligize for asking questions .. when I bought my first recorder, I received assistance from various sources .. the payback is to pass along what I've learned

Victor

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

catfreak- 1st. thanks for the help & information! I think I'll forgo the 3hr hack I can always just record at the 4 hr. speed but only record 3hrs. of video anwyways! on the macrovison defeat with hacking !Do I ubderstand right that I pull up the menu screen leave it up then select record & speed from remote record 15seconds or so pause the 5005 then roll my vhs or dvd that I wish to record from rhen unpause the recorder and let it rip? Also setting the 5005 to be region free is a non permanent change = Not a hack! I wouldb'nt be switching the unit back & forth but am thinking warranty issues? also This allows for region free recordings like we burn on the computer correct! And having looked up a list of nstc tv system using countries apparently there is a plethora of video waiting to be played in a region free deck! My apology was my fumbling attempt at humility ! That's been my M.O. on afterdawn since finding it ! Approach everyone as a friend and in a humble manner and giving credit to others for their help !, Wisdom and support ! I've checked out other tech- forums but have found that the quaility of the people and information is much much better right here! Seemed like the other tech /users groups /forums were more interested in playing Fight room and dogging each other out so I stay here! Just wanted to say thanks and all that! Happy Thanksgiving - Peace & Happy BURNING

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

At the risk of sounding slightly stupid ! Is it possible to make several recordings onto a - or +RW disc with the 5005 like recodring a daily program for example ! I only ask because my former dvd recorder hencforth known as the little philips that could'nt would erase your first program or movie on the disc even though space was available for the new program or movie! Thanx for listening !Happy HOLIDAYS to All!

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Okay .. yes you can record day after day on the same disc without erasing the previous information .. Certain discs do cause problems doing this however. As far as 'region free' recording. The recorder does not set a region on the programs that you record. You only need the 'region free' hack to play other region discs.

And the Macrovision thing ..first of all, from what I understand, not all of the newer machines will perform the following 'work around' .. What I do is start the VHS tape, then pause it or allow the DVD player to stop at the menu. I then start the recorder recording. After 10 seconds or so, I either unpause the VHS or select what I want on the DVD menu and press play. So far, this has worked 100% of the time on both of my recorders ..

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

catfreak- OKay That makes sense ! And if the work around does'nt work with my unit I can always do what I did with my Old Philips dvdr-72 Pass the signal from the vhs or dvd through my terapin video cd recorder Which for some unknown reason seems to defeat the Macrovision ! I discovered this by making video cd 's from my vhs tapes and the occasional DVD ! but thanks for the clarification on the info & the rapid reply ! Will update the post once get my 5005 installed & running! Thanks again Happy Holidays ! Burn DVD's Not turkeys! " The table looks great honey ! Kids tell your mom how great the table looks" LOL!

9. Camfreak

Camfreak Guest

Thanks for the great info. Would still like answers to my 2nd or 3rd above post. I'm a little weary about the hack install. I'd also like to know if I start record at 1 speed can I change it when I begin another chapter on same DVD+R ex: 4hr to 2hr? It looks like it is possible. I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. I started recording some old Beta tapes I still have, yeh I said Beta. I was hoping for some worthy technology so I could upgrade some important vids of mine and now it's here thanks to DVD. After 21 yrs. my Sony Beta vcr still works but it's seen better days.

10. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I'm not sure what part of the above posts that you need answers to ..

I know that the firmware is very straightforward to upgrade and I'm not sure about the 'hacks' since I've not applied any 'hacks' to my machines ...

You can change recording speeds from chapter to chapter, but you cannot change speed within a particular chapter ..

If you are lucky enough to find made in Japan Sony discs at WalMart you have a 50/50 chance of getting TYs .. But my 5005 recorders seem to like the made in Taiwan Sony, Ritek, Maxell, Verbatim discs more ..

11. KimTx

KimTx Guest

My LiteOn5005 arrives today by UPS from newegg. I'll let you all know how everything turns out. I may be writing in asking for help on the firmware and hack if I can't figure it out. I'm pretty sure I should be OK though since I did my ILO04 successfully.

I still don't know if I'm going to install it in the living room or put it away for a backup for when my ILO04 stops working. Decisions, decisions. :)

One more thing. I read somewhere that the LiteOn has a surprisingly good quality picture in the longer recording modes. I'm anxious to see if it's true.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
  12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

KimTx-mine arrived monday well boxed & packed opened the box & read thru manual but did'nt install yet busy with other things holidays & what not ! but I think I'll like it ! If you have any questions be sure and ask Catfreak about this unit 5005 ! as he is the answer man for the liteon 5005! and he's a good motor scooter ! he's already answered all of the questions I've had sofar! and he'way smart on other dvd-ish type things too! Hope you KimTx , Catfreak & all the AFTERDAWN.COM community have a happy & safe Thanksgiving ! Good Luck!

13. Camfreak

Camfreak Guest

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm likeing this 5005 so far. The Maxell disc's are working good so far. Can someone please tell me how to turn off the screen saver with script (ALL Write) from coming on when I'm recording or on playback? It seems to be on a timer. I looked for it in the manual but didn't see anything about it. Is it only ilo that can be changed to region free by punching 4 numbers in system s/ware or can I do it on my 5005?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
  14. aztec1

aztec1 Member

UPGRADING.
    If you want to upgrade your firmware to get the 3hr recording,region free and microvision free.. this is what i did.

turn on your 5005 unit and go to system and write the serial number down.
    then go here: http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/download/index.asp

and follow the instruction to get the latest firmware for your unit.
    and put it on your desktop.and unzip it.

then go here and download the liitle utility.

http://ilohacker.tripod.com/
    and just follow the instruction on the bottom of the page.

This is how i upgraded my liteon 5005 and it worked for me.

"" DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK "
    SO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

good luck...aztec1

15. aztec1

aztec1 Member

How do i know my 5005 is microvision/region free???

if your serial number on the setup screen looks like this XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (01X-XXXX) the first digit 0 means it is region free, the second digit 1 means that macrovision is disabled, the last digit in the group of 3 with the 0 and 1 is the ending character of the last system firmware update.

credits to :jm1647

BEST MEDIA FOR MY 5005

VERBATIM +RWS
    TAIYO YUDEN +R 8X
    RYTEKS

ok guys iam out,good luck

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  16. Camfreak

Camfreak Guest

Ok, I'll upgrade it like that but I thought I need 2 files one for system and one for drive? I'm only able to dl the system file. That's the only one I see for 5005.

I'd also really like an answer for how to turn off the screen saver that I talked about in my post above this one.

Thanks

17. Spreadkng

Spreadkng Member

so, if we use the code to make the player region free, that will allow any disc no matter region to play on the machine ?

and the lite=on 5005 records everything region free.
    Say I buy a blank Maxell DVD+R at wal-mart, i record a TV show on it, I send it to a friend in england who only has a PAL DVD player, will he be able to watch the DVD I made ?

thanks.

I have had the lite-on for 1 week, and freakin love it, compared to the ilo, I want to give it a kiss.

18. garygid

garygid Member

Was MV disabled?

For my (very nice) LVW-5005A Liteon recorder I downloaded the latest firmware upgrade (LNFA1101.E10) from the liteonit.com site. My 5005 had firmware 086 (see the 0086 in the third 4-character group of the firmware "SN").

Liteon does not appear to say what this upgrade "101" contains.
    Does anybody know?

I then used the latest (ver 1.5b) of ILOHack.exe to modify the file, and burned the result to a CD-ROM. Everything was easy and apparently went OK. The modification messages seemed to be as expected, with everything found and successful.

In the LVW-5005A I did a Setup-System-Default-Restore, and loaded the CD, which was recognized as an Update attempt, and did the update. After the reboot I did a Setup-...-Restore again.

The modifications:
    1. The 3-hour (LP) mode (mainly what I wanted) now appears.
    2. The Region is 0 (and the Setup/Exit 2960 still works). Also the (100-010B) changed to (000-010B) where the first digit shows the Region setting.
    3. HOWEVER: The MV-disable was reported to cause the second digit of the (000-010B) to become a "1". But here, that digit remained "0". So, either the second digit no longer shows the MV status, or this modification did not work.

Please, has anybody else had similar (or different) results with this "101" firmware ?

Has anybody been able to verify that the MV gets disabled?

If the MV was not disabled, then maybe the MV patch is really clobbering something else in this version of the firmware.
    Thanks, Gary

19. bill02840

bill02840 Guest

I have the 5045 and today it just died
    It's only 6 months old !!! I'm gpoing to see if I can remove the hard drive and download to my pc, there are a few good movies from payper view on it I'd like to save.

All it does is turn on and stop at the hello screen. It never finishes loading.

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

My experience has been that the MV hack won't work on firmware newer than 098 .. ??? (of course this just may be me)

This may be why you have a '0' instead of a '1' in the MV space ...

Both of my LVW-5005 units are running 098 and I don't see me updating my firmware unless I run into MAJOR DVD compatability issues