1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon 5045 problems

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ZebUK, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Hi, three problems with the unit here with an LVW-5045 recorder with 180GB HD.

First, the recorder is having problems recognising the discs which are Sony DVD+RW (DPW120AD2) sometimes they pick up fine other times they report back as not being recognised. This seems to happen randomly. Additionally, when my mum records programmes for me from TV onto these discs I can watch them on my LG DR175 recorder but if she burns them onto the Maxell DVD-RW that I use I can't watch them!

Second problem seems a little more obscure. She bought the DVD recorder for use in her bedroom but when she plugs it into her TV the picture sort of rolls/scrolls like there's some sort of interference with something else so she's had to use it downstairs instead. She's been told her Liteon isn't compatible with her TV - I thought a signal was a signal? This happens when used with both RF or scart.

Third problem is sometimes her hard drive needs to be completely wiped as the menu index system seems to have become corrupt. Does the 5045 (or HD-based recorders in general) suffer from fragmentation problems like a PC does? If she doesn't format the HD the programmes appear in the menu but can't be played and recordings set via timer mostly fail to record.

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

zebuk

First
    I have a Liteon/ilo 5045, 5005, RHD04, R04 all had developed problems as described.some disks would hang and/or not play in various machines. I replaced The DVD drives with Liteon PC drives and they exhibit no further problems with disks used in any machine. There could be other problems but this seems appropriate to your post.

Second
    You indicste that the unit does work on another TV. It sounds as a vert. sync problem with the TV. But you indicate that the TV works Ok otherwise and the 5045 works OK on another TV. I should think the problem is in the connections and/or setup

Third
    This is a personal opinion; I do feel that fragmentation can be a problem I do not de-fragment the HDD because of the large files involved and the chance of problems. The problems indicated could be caused by the HDD being fragmented and having bad sectors. I record and edit and every so often clear the drive of all programs, I than erase the entire drive [this will also format it in the unit] I would try this first to see if it resolves the problem
    -------------------
    The HDD is a standard IDE drive, formatted Fat 32. This would be no problem if Win 98 is used as an OS but could require special programming, if say WIN XP is used.
    -------------------
    Based on what you say. If you can, Remove the HDD and put it in a PC [But only if a full erase in the unit still results in problems. If you do this and the system Is XP.
    Go here for info and help ---[EDIT] GO HERE REGUARDLESS

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=fc55ab2a34dabc515aede8028f6d74ca

http://www.normediasolutions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

These sites have a lot of info on your unit [Remember ilo is a LiteOn
    And you can get other ideas and opinions

Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  3. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Awesome reply - many thanks for all that information! :)

When you say replace the DVD drive with a Liteon PC drive I take it you mean remove the actual DVD drive unit and replace it with a DVD drive you'd use in a standard home PC? Does it have to be a Liteon unit and is there much danger of damaging the entire unit? Believe it or not I'm very IT literate and build my own machines and for friends but I'm relatively new to the home DVD recorders. I've no problem opening the unit and replacing the DVD drive but as mother uses it almost every day I feel she'll get paranoid about it. That and I'd want to be certain of a particular make/model of DVD drive to use.

I used to be an installer for NTL Telewest and there's nothing I can see wrong with the connections. I know when having multiple devices running on scart you sometimes have to turn some devices off before another can be used. I've even gone as far as making brand new cables for her and this still hasn't fixed the problem.

If the problems appears she watches the programmes she can then formats the drive to regain normal functionality. It's not much of a serious problem except a couple times she misses the odd episode of something. Being retired and heavily inflicted with arthritis and a bad back she does watch a lot of TV.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Your Quote
    If the problems appears she watches the programmes she can then formats the drive to regain normal functionality. It's not much of a serious problem except a couple times she misses the odd episode of something. Being retired and heavily inflicted with arthritis and a bad back she does watch a lot of TV
    -------------------------------------

Something’s going on here. The unit should not need to be reformatted this way. Are you sure the proper prociedure is being used I'm not sure the drive is at fault. Also I didn't catch it before but are the -RW disks being finalized. The +RW do not need to

You have mentioned scart connections a number of times is this a UK use and is the unit a UK model if so you should post that on those sites given.
    The 5045 is no longer in production and is one of the last machines that can be hacked.
    http://www.ncc2315.com/ilo/
    The ilo is basically the same as the LiteOn
    ALSO --- Go over those sites given in the prior post above carefully.
    If the hack is not desired you may be better off getting your mother a unit that she would feel comfortable with
    I can’t say what you should do but don’t just discard the 5045 as it has value.

EDIT
    Yes the drives are PC units And those sites given will indicate the drives to use and there installation

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  5. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Many thanks for your reply, I thought there was something up but it's difficult to tell when my knowledge of these devices is very limited.

I'll have a look at those links when I have some quiet time so I'm more likely to absorb everything.

Yes, we're in the UK and all equipment is from & for the UK market. JFI, NTL Telewest is one of (probably) the biggest cable TV/(broadband) internet companies in the UK.

The only two questions I have, if I may, are regarding the hard drive.

First, is it possible to install a larger one than it came with and second, is it possible to add a hard drive to a unit that doesn't come with one? I'm thinking of my LG DR175 recorder.

EDIT: When her menu system becomes corrupt programmes set to record via the timer go through the process of recording and even show as recorded but there is nothing there to watch.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Your questions
    Yes the HDD can be larger. It is a standard IDE unit Format is Fat 32. On the sites I gave, [Normano] has very good guides on the drives and how to install them

I do not have a LG but it has been my experience
    that a unit without HDD does not have a chipset that will accept a HDD

Your EDIT
    Is this recording to the HDD, DVD disk or both

The problem you describe with the thumbnails being there but no program even though the unit says recording

I had this happen to me way, way back On the HDD. I did a comp erase [format] and have never defragged since. I have not had any such problem since but was that the problem ? I don't really know

7. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Yes, its writing to the HD.

Thanks for all your help, I've bookmarked the pages and will head over and read them when it gets more quiet here. If I get any problems with anything I'll pop back.

:)

8. saibrama

saibrama Member

Hi,
    Just want to share my experience with my LITEON5045 DVD RECORDER.
    Got a lot of problem with this machine especially for writing DVD.
    The HDD is PERFECT no problem at all. Everytime I was putting a Blank DVD in the DRIVE I was praying...wish it does not give me a reject message..Finally, I end up with this machine that does not recognise ANY DVD.
    WOW..what a relief, I happen to open the machine...swap a new SONY DVD drive in it...EUREKA...It just work perfectly. God Bless...
    Now it recognise ANY disk.just name it.
    For more info saibrama@hotmail.com.

9. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  10. saibrama

saibrama Member

HI LCSHG,
    Re-Querry for my new Sony DVD Drive replacing that of my LITEON 5045 It's the SONY DRU-830A DVD+-R 18X .
    You can consider this model as among the latest available now.

You can email me saibrama@hotmail.com with pleasure after experiencing so much with tis machine...What a relief..

11. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Thanks saibrama, will look into getting one of these beasts :)