1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon 8x DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by macd23, Feb 13, 2004.

1. macd23

macd23 Guest

I just got an external LDW-851SX Liteon 8x Burner. It uses a USB 2.0 interface. My laptop is a compaq celeron 2 ghz with 256 MB ram.

I learned that my laptop has the older USB 1.1, so when i tried burning a backup of my first dvd with DVD XCOPY XPRESS it took 2 hours to read the dvd and then it froze after 10 seconds of writing to the blank.

I ordered a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter card that supposedly will give me USB 2.0 speeds to use the burner......my question is does anyone have a similar setup? will the usb 2.0 adapter work for me? and what media works well with the lite-on drive? i have a toshiba sd1200 dvd player that i believe only like DVD-R.....i bought a 50 pack of memorex i am going to try. any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2004
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

There is a big difference in speed.

Max data rates:
    USB 1.1 1,500 KB/s
    USB 2.0 60,000 KB/s
    FireWire 50,000 KB/s

You can't really use a 1.1 USB speed and expect your burner to work properly. A USB 2.0 should provide more than enough KB/s.

Your read speed was slow enough that that the 1.1 USB could handle it (barely) However when the burn begain and average data transfer requirements went up over 5,000 KB/s things crashed pretty quickly.

If your laptop has an avalible PCI slot to plug the card into, then your adapter card ought to work.

I guess you are going to find the answers to most of your questions anyway as you have ordered the adapter card and have a bunch of blank DVDs. ;D

If you can add more RAM that might help your speed after you install your adapter card. If your system's RAM fills up then you CPU will start swapping files with your hard drive to keep the programs running. That really slows things down. 256MB is workable though.

Your 2 Ghz CPU should work just fine. Lots of DVD programs (like DVD Shrink) work your CPU at 95%-100% which is normal, you want your CPU running full throttle, check your performance with your task manager before and after you install your USB adapter and see the difference.
    It can be lazy with the 1.1 buss at 1,500 KB/s.

I hope you have better luck with the Memorex than I'm having. I just installed a new Pioneer 8X burner and it won't burn any version of Memorex media. I would recommend that if you are just starting out and don't really know what media is compatable with your equipment, to buy smaller amounts. Try a five pack of Riteks for example. Get some R/W media to practice with while you're sorting things out.

Good luck,
    Frank

3. macd23

macd23 Guest

Frank,

thanks for your informative reply...as an update i am up and running!!

I am successfully burning backups of my dvds onto Memorex 4x -R ....I got them for a good price at BB $49.99/50 pack. I am using a Liteon 8x External USB 2.0 DVD+-R/W drive and a DLink DUB-C2 USB 2.0 adapter for my laptop. Dvd Xcopy Xpress is the software. I have sucessfully burned two perfect dvds in about 30 min total each.......good stuff!

ps: i shut down all running applications so that I have plenty of memory and cpu capability.....i am actually only running 192 MB RM, 64 mb is reserved for video card....but it works awesome anyway! no problems so far, knock on wood.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2004
  4. superape

superape Member

Just a comment on media - I've had success using memorex in a Liteon 851 external (via USB adapter card plugged into my laptop) and have found that Ritek G04 dye DVD -Rs seem to work fine too. The one problem I am having though is that the whole setup is really temperamental, I will burn several disks fine and then, for no clear reason, it all goes horribly wrong and burning with Nero v 6.0.0.0 I get the error message 'reset occurred' - have you had a similar experience?

5. macd23

macd23 Guest

i am using xcopy, it has been rock solid.

6. superape

superape Member

updated to nero 6.3 and haven't had a coaster since...

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,

macd23,
    Glad to hear your adapter card works and your burning with your laptop!

superape,
    I had to remove and reinstall Nero to get my burner to work with the Memorex media. I flashed the firmware and am now burning at 8X with 4x -R media.
    I ordered a spindle of Ritek G-04. Those seem to be the most trouble-free according to everyone here.

Happy burning guys,
    Frank

8. psiemah

psiemah Guest

Hi superape. I got random "reset occurred" using the Nero 6.0, I thought it was USB 2.0 interface related problem. Are you saying that, after you upgraded to Nero 6.3, you never experience any "reset occurred" at all

9. TeraIncog

TeraIncog Member

I just picked up my LitOn 8x DVD burner yesterday and it works very well.

The LiteOn was a replacement for the original LG burner I bought. I had the 4081B with the new firmware installed and it was not compatible with the Bytecc (ME320-U2F) enclosure I bought with it. It would burn DVD's but not CD's. I tried everything to fix it but finally took it back to the store I purchased it, they tested it and sure enough it was not compatible with an external enclosure so they gave me another burner which was the LitOn LDW-851SX. ($196 Canadian at canadacomputers com)

I also had to buy an USB2 pc card for my Thinkpad. I plugged in the card, installed the driver, plugged in the LiteOn, XP recognized it and installed the driver itself. I then rebooted and away I went, I burned a CD at 40x with Nero 6.3 and then a DVD with DVD shrink(@ 4x). Both things worked flawlessly. I highly recommend the LiteOn external 8x DVD writer.

And no I don't work for them, I am just happy with the product as I didn't expect much.

10. superape

superape Member

Thanks for all the advice!

>>>>psiemah (Newbie) 14 April 2004 08:06
    Hi superape. I got random "reset occurred" using the Nero 6.0, I thought it was USB 2.0 interface related problem. Are you saying that, after you upgraded to Nero 6.3, you never experience any "reset occurred" at all

Yes, i haven't had a 'reset occurred' error message, although sometimes the burn still goes wrong but I get different error messages. I think it may be the USB interface, although it is alot better with nero 6.3...