1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon DVD Recorder LVW 5101

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by witchlady, Feb 18, 2005.

1. witchlady

witchlady Member

Recently bought the LVW Liteon Recorder and has been doing a great job of copying my old VCR tapes, but now want to try it out for recording from TV. No problem setting up timer to use it but so far I can't seem to be able to record from TV to recorder, one channel, while watching another channel, like I can with my VCR. I have cable, but do not use a box, goes direct into TV or whatever I am using for a receiver. I am not just trying to record something and then change channels. I want to be able to use the timer recording function, set up recorder to record same program every week, but still be able to use the TV on other channels at same time. Right now only channel that I can watch it whatever one is being recorded. I have also noticed that when it finished recording the recorder does not turn itself off automatically, I have to hit the power button on the remote.

Thanks

Vampy

2. wordsmith

wordsmith Member

If the recorder doesn't have a passthrough capability like your VCR, you have to use a conventional splitter.
    Most dollar stores carry them here in Canada, but it depends where you are located whether you have to go to Radio Shack or similar supplier. They are not expensive, even then.

You will have one input socket and two outputs (you can get them with three or four outlets, but it doesn't sound like you need that much). Connect your cable or antenna to the input and then take output to PVR and another to the TV. You may also have to buy a couple more short cables, but these are also not expensive. I trust that you are taking the signal out from the PVR to the RCA plugs on the back of your TV, and not via the COAX cable. If you are doing the latter, then you will need another splitter, but frankly you are not getting the full benefit from your DVDs. May be time to upgrade the TV if it doesn't have component video inputs, or at the very least an RCA video input jack.

3. witchlady

witchlady Member

Thanks for help and suggestions, but after redoing all the wiring, etc. I solved my own problem. I sometimes think I try to have too many things hooked up to one TV and expect to be able to do everything at same time. Again thanks, it is working perfect for me now.

4. jmyoung

jmyoung Member

I have the LVW-5101 and I went through several of the same models and I keep having the same problem. Does anyone have a fix for the timer recording. It doesn't seem to want to stop timer recordings. It will continue to record even though you stop it. I have already upgraded the firmware as well.

Help!!

5. witchlady

witchlady Member

Have you downloaded the most current update? After doing that and discovering I had some of the wiring backwards it is now working fine for me. I have a very complex arrangement as I have a VCR, DVD Player and the DVD recorder, plus one other little gadget, all connected to my TV, and now I can record on the recorder and VCR at same time, copy from DVD to recorder while VCR is taping, copy from VCR while recorder is recording, and everything works smoothly and the recorder turns itself off when program is finished through timer. Wordsmith on March 10, wrote a reply that might be helpful to you, just depends on what kind of setup you have. I can't remember the page to go to for upgrade but you can find it in the LiteOn page. Hope this helps and does not confuse you.
    Witchlady

6. jmyoung

jmyoung Member

Yes, I downloaded the firmware as soon as I bought it. Have you tried to stop a Timed Recording TV program during the middle when it is recording? It stops but then it starts up again. I am curious to see if this happens with all the LVW-5101 or just the one I have. Did you buy it at Sam's Club?

7. witchlady

witchlady Member

Yes I bought it at Sams Club and yes I have had trouble stopping a timed program. After several tries I finally manged to get into the timed program area and change the times, but it was not easy. I have not bothered trying to find out how to overcome that problem, maybe someone else that has had it happen to them will read this and make a suggestion. Overall I am satisfied with the unit,it does have glitches every once in awhile, but for the price I guess that is to be expected. Most of the time, if I can't resolve whatever problem I have any other way, I pull the plug for a couple seconds, then re-install the updated firmware, and do the setup procedure again. Thankfully that does not happen often and it does retain the timed programs, and clock, but anytime you lose power, whether it is intended or thru a power failure you absolutely have to reprogram it.

8. jmyoung

jmyoung Member

Thanks, you answered my question. I thought my recorder was the one crazy one - I returned it 3x - it seemed to work fine for the first few recordings then it starts acting crazy again. I also like the unit for the price. I hope they can fix that problem - that is really the only main gripe I have. I think I will reload the firmware again - I think you are right when I unplug it then I have to reload the firmware.