1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

liteon lvw-5101

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by mikmuller, Oct 13, 2004.

1. mikmuller

mikmuller Member

does anyone here hae this or any of the lite on models? I need a dvd recorder that also acts as a regular dvd r/w burner so i can connect it to my pc or mac and burn dvds from imovie or whatever. never having had a dvd recorder like this i am wondering if it does that too.

thanks
    mik

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I don't have a LVW-5101 but I have a LVW-5005 which I really am happy with ... Maybe you should go to the Lite-On forum at this link ... http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi?act=SC;c=2

... I know they both have a front firewire port but I'm not sure you can hook the recorder to a PC ... I take the discs from my recorder and put them into my PC's DVD writer and write to my HD that way ...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]          ... Victor Katz .. the original catfreak ...

[​IMG]       

. . . Of all the things in my life that I've lost . . . . . I miss my mind the most . .[/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  3. mikmuller

mikmuller Member

Problem is if you don't have an internal dvd writer. also I need to connect it to an imac. I'll go check the forums as you suggest.

4. laserjon

laserjon Member

mike- it's not happenin with the imac- you need an internal Apple recognized 'superdrive' which you can get from OWC (otherworldcomputing). call them and tell them what you're tryin to do. i'm considering getting the liteon to do a realtime move of my vhs tapes so i can have them all backed up and accessible on dvd disks so i can throw out my tapes, then later put the discs in manually to my mac and scan through them to see what footage i want to edit out. any infor on this??? what do the dvd recorders record to, MPEG-2? (which is what a presentation DVD would have??????? any input appreciated. i'm temted to try the one unit with the DV input (firewire) on the front, because then you have the added convenience of dumping footage directly to dvd from your camcorder if you cant tie up that space on your mac's (or pc's) harddrive..

5. drag0

drag0 Member

I have Lite-On LVW-5001 and the new LVW-5006. We resell the 5006.

For one, the DV-plug is only for DV-cameras. It cannot be connected to a computer. Period. This has been discussed with Lite-On and on their forums over and out: http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi

Both devices have had their set of problems. When they work without problems, both are great. LVW-5006 is clearly technically better. But my unit has yet to do any video disc that could be played with other players - 5006 plays them all, but not regular DVD players or computer DVD drives.

5001 didn't have this problem - it suffered mostly from the STOP problem, where STOP would blink forever when you tried to quit recording, and your disc would come out bad (wouldn't play even in the 5001).

If you're looking for a quality player that always works, don't go with these. If you're tight on money but have time to tinker with fw updates and several tries, then these recorders are certainly your thing.

6. goshob

goshob Member

Hi,
    I have a question concerning a DVD disk that obviously is not burned properly. Here it is: I have a DVD +R disk written on Liteon LVW-5001 that obviously is not finalized. The recorder / row material are far away from me and as expected I can’t read the disk on other player or on my computer (Murphy’s Law!). Does anybody know a solution?

7. drag0

drag0 Member

..hmm.. apart from getting access to another recorder (same model I would presume), it's going to get difficult. Maybe you could find a recorder on display in a store, and maybe they'd let you finalize it there?

There has been a thread about finalizing DVD+RW -recordings with Nero, so that they can be transferred to a DVD+R. But I don't think this applies in your case, since you can't read the disc with a computer. Have you tried finalizing with the PC? This may ruin your disc, so only try it as a last resort (not sure if PC software can finalize the disc the same way the recorder does, so it may get screwed up..) .