1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteOn or LG?- (cant decide)external drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bahgee, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Ive heard a number of really great threads about both LiteOn and LG. Below are the model numbers i have to choose from. I am buying them at Best Buy because of gift certs. By the way the LG is less expensive but does not come with software.(dont things thats an issue though) I have heard great things about both and I just need a final word. I am new so be gentle. Thanks so much.

LG - 16x External Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Super MultiDrive with LightScribe
    Model: GSA E10L
    SKU: 7790287
    Reg. Price: $125.99
    You Save: $46.00
    Sale: $79.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7790287&st=lg&type=product&id=1142291022785
    OR,

Lite On
    - EZ-DUB 16x External Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
    Model: SOHW-1673SU
    SKU: 7622021
    Our Price: $109.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...##1##1&list=n&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

(My main gig is just backing up dvds, and creating mp3s from tracks on my concert dvds). I use anydvd and an intervideo application. Thanks again.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Personally I'd go for the LG, as it better value for money and I like LG's Super Multi drives. It also supports DVD RAM writing support.

However, most people on AfterDawn will tell you to go for the LiteOn, because LG drives are not so favoured here.

So, I'd go for the LG, and hey, it looks better too. ;)

3. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Hi. I bought the LG GSA E10N (N not L) external drive for Christmas. I don't think my one has the LightScribe support, but I am very happy with it. Its plug and play - no software to load in and it works well with ripping and burning progs.

Rippers right though - most people here favor Lite On, but I went for LG...

4. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Awesome.

Mind made up. going with the LG. Im sure ill be back asking questions about all kinds of crap soon enough. Thank yu everyone who helped me out.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Good choice. Let us know if you come into any problems.

6. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Any particular media (fuji,verbatim, tdk){dual layer etc.- As it is supported}. I heard just make sure its the dvdrs are made in japan or singapore. Does LG have a brand it really likes? Just need the last minute details.thanks

by the way, whats up with the dvd+ and -? This is a dead giveaway to how new i really am.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok, I have an LG and only burn Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disks in it. However, as long as you have Made in Japan or Verbatim media (Verb media isn't made in japan) then it'll be fine.

DVD-R

DVD+R

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  8. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

you can do a search about + Vs. -' as this is a FAQ at AFTERDAWN.

As for your other Question about wich media to use, once again I urge you to use the SEARCH function, It will get you the answers to your Questions

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Not helpful! ^^

Don't post if you're going to post like that. :X

10. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Hi again. I use LG players trying to have one brand to burn and play hopefully eliminating conflict issues.

Haven't used D/L so can't comment...perhaps one for the future. People here and on the Imgburn forum all more or less say TY, Verbatim MIJ & a few others. Only use Verbatim +R for D/L as the layer break can't be set on -R... this is what I've read.

I recommend Imgburn to burn with...a good burner is important and you can booktype +R discs to DvdROM making them more compatible with different players. As to + & - formats...I use + for various reasons. In the early days of learning buy some rewritable discs for test burns and experiment. Hope this helps. Lots of guides around the forum...

Regards

Edit:typo

11. bahgee

bahgee Guest

This very much helps. I was reading about the history of dvd+ and -. I just want the goods from the guys who know their stuff. Then i came across D.L. So my mind automatically zoned into "What do i need to rock n roll with my new LG burner?" I did alot of searching and many people have differrent preferences. IS it DL + or DL-, or just plain DL, or do i only need DVD+ or DVD-? Altercuno and Ripper: YOu have both been most helpful. Today when i walk my arse into Best Buy under the lights and am hit with more options than a man should have in a lifetime, What Exact DVD media would you buy in my case? The main thing i see that i think i like about DL is the fact i dont have to deal w/ compression as much because of the 8.5gb vs 1/2 that. Do you find this to be true? You guys are awesome. Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

OK, to burn a copy of a whole DVD, eg menus etc, you will need a Dual Layer DVD. If you buy DL then you want Verbatim +R Dual Layers!

Now, if you want to burn just the movie and not the menus then you need normal single layer DVD+R - made By Verbatim.
    To burn ONLY the whole movie, you need to alter your files somewhat - which is a whole diff ballgame and we can come to that later.

So, you want to buy DVD Single Layer (4.7GB) Verbatim +R disks.

:)

**To find out about getting rid of menus etc then read in the DVD Shrink forums**

**Dual Layers are very expensive, hence why people strip out menus to fit to a Single Layer disk**

13. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Giddy UP! Thats what im talking about. Im going for the verbatim + r Dual layer. Im sure i will get into the other stuff soon enough, but i have some music concert dvd's. Having the menus is pretty important due to set lists etc. The moment of truth is almost here. Let you know what happens. Thanks Again

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok well wait a sec, before you burn DLs, you should update this for your drive.

It's firmware to make it recognise new disks, just incase. :)

Here is the latest update..
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_file.php?site=firmx&file=GSA-E10L_LE06(EW).zip

When you download it, unzip it and then run it. When you run it, make sure there is nothing else running and no disk in your drive. :)

15. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Thank you for your kind words. Don't worry about compression - there are programs to take care of that as Ripper says. I also agree with him regarding discs - I've read elsewhere 90% of burning problems are caused by bad media so its worth getting the good stuff. Take your time and look upon it as a learning experience...

Regards

16. bahgee

bahgee Guest

I just saw the price of the DL media. It is pricey. However i found verbatim and RItek to be among the ones on sale? Do you like Ritek? Im just gonna buy a few DL's today from Best buy to work out the kinks if there are any. Is there a site that you prefer to buy quality media from? Even though they are Verbatim + r, do i have to worry about the made in wherever part? I will ofcourse run that firmware update. Im thinking i should try to do it w/ out the update 1st to see if its already recognized. Good idea? So in a nutshell?
    1.reputable site for DL's? 2.Ritek any good? 3. Lastly, when running firmware update, close all programs and remove all disks?

17. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Right on Altercuno. I am only going to buy a few dvd dl's today and let her rip. Like you said. Learning process. Im sure ill be getting into compression by the middle of next week. Unless i get a phenomenal raise. thanks bro

18. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Are you in the USA? If so I'm in the UK and probably can't help. Ritek are supposed to be very good, but I have never used them - perhaps Ripper knows. Never done a firmware update on a burner so don't know its up to you - go with Ripper on that.

Yes the price of D/L is what put me off...

19. bahgee

bahgee Guest

I live in Texas, but i dont wear cowboy boots or live on a farm. As far as the medium is concerned im just gonna buy a few verbatims today I think. I will run the Ritek question passed a few guru's as well. Im not gonna download the firmware update until i know whats up. The way the specs are listed for the LG burner it looks like it supports DVD +r DL. should probably get the rippers perspective too. What's your take on the specs below as far as supporting DL? Looks ok to my consumer eyes, but then again.

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
    Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year
    Product Height 1.9"
    Product Width 6.3"
    Product Weight 3.3 lbs.
    Product Depth 9.1"
    Internal or External External
    Overall Maximum Write Speed 16x

Maximum Write Speed 10x DVD+R DL; 6x DVD-R DL; 16x DVD+R; 16x DVD-R; 5x DVD-RAM; 48x CD-R
    Maximum Rewrite Speed 8x DVD+RW; 6x DVD-RW; 32x CD-RW
    Maximum Read Speed 12x DVD-ROM; 48x CD-ROM

Interface Slot/Connection Port USB 2.0

Cache Buffer 2MB
    System Requirements Windows 2000 Professional, XP Home, XP Professional
    Average Access Time 145 ms DVD; 125 ms CD

20. Ripper

Ripper Active member

1. Meritline, Rima (google them)

2. Yes, they're good too, not as good as Verbatim though

3. Yes.

Get back to me. :)