1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteOn or LG?- (cant decide)external drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bahgee, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Multiformat support for DVD+R/R DL/RW, DVD-R/R DL/RW, DVD-RAM and CD-R/RW media

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video on compatible DVD+R DL (double layer) and DVD-R DL (dual layer) media

LightScribe technology allows you to burn a silk-screen-like label directly onto LightScribe CD and DVD media for a truly professional look that won't smudge or tear; just burn your disc, then flip to burn the label

ADD that too the specs above in other reply. i think im solid for DL's. Opinions? (OH and Ripper, it's not necessary to download the firmware until i run into a hitch ehh? What kind of error would it likely say. Paraphrasing ofcourse) Thanks bro.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  2. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Interesting - I didn't know D/L write times were slower than Dvd+/-R. The usual advice on burn speeds is half the rated speed - if the disc says 16X burn at 8X, but thats single layer, as I said I've never done D/l.

I still recommend Imgburn for burning discs.

I never got into LightScribe cos of the cost of the discs - I think...

3. bahgee

bahgee Guest

I'll play around with the 1/2 speed. I may mess a few dvd dl's up in the process but...Ripper or anyone else, do you know about turning down burn speeds on the drive for DL's?

4. bahgee

bahgee Guest

You guys are probably sleeping right now. Picked up my LG. Got my verbatim dvd_+ r DL. Holy crap. 25 for 49 bucks. so when im through these Dl's, compression will be in the lesson plan as long as i dont sacrifice quality. Im sure you guys can help me out w/ all that. Im waiting until tomorrow to test it out. My usb 2.0 transfer port/hub arrives tomorrow and i want everything installed before installing the LG. That way if there is an error the deducing wont be as difficult. Plus im getting Radiohead live at Astoria, Pink Floyd Pulse 2 disc concerts to test this sucker out on. They're from netflix so... This weekend i can work out the kinks if there are any. Thanks again, and I Will Be in contact.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

6. bahgee

bahgee Guest

IT Worked. First try!! I use a progam called Intervideo DVD copy 5 Platinum

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp.

First i use Anydvd ofcourse. I can burn dvd to dvd, or save the image and then burn it. Im still working out the kinks to burn it from a saved file, but the dvd to dvd works fine. I was shocked.
    Thanks for all the help

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ah yeah, DVD to DVD is fine if it's concert dvds! :)

Glad it all ok.

Did you run the firmware update? If not, then dont bother. If you did, then well done. :)

8. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Uhm. As long as they're music? I have not downloaded the firmware update. I wanted to try it without it first. What awaits me w/ movies? A bit unsettling, but i assumed it was going to good. One thing i did notice is that when i tried to save the dvd to file that worked. It gave me 2 Video files called Video TS and Video something else. After that it gave me the option to burn from that location to dvd but it gave me an error, hence I was forced to go dvd to dvd r. I wanted to do file to DVD R because i figured speed would be better. Something about location not being supported etc.?? Ill get back to you w/ exact error message. Any ideas as to what it might be? I have this feeling your gonna tell me to update the firmware again. - Later ill send you a link to a flash file showing the application im using. Talk to you soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well, there is nothing that you can take out or compress in a Concert DVD, so you need DL disks. When burning movies, it's the same thing if you want to keep the menus etc. But, if you want to put just the movie on a single layer disk (which are cheaper :D) then it's different, as you have to take out the menus and other crap and then compress it to fit.

What program gave you the error?

Btw, you'll have Video_TS and Audio_TS; you only need the Video folder, the audio on will be empty. :)

10. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Hello my friend. I am using the DL + Verbatim DVD r's I got them last night. I want to do movies and concerts in one shot for now.Eventually i will start compresssion.

DVD Copy 5 Platinum by Intervideo

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=InterVideo_DVD_Copy
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9257/intervideo_dvd_copy5_platinum/

There is a flash macromedia somewhere for it but i cant find the url. Quite a few url's with alot of info. I probably gave you too many. This has specs and updates as well. You might have an idea of why i get that error message. I think there is a trial dl too. I did alot of research and checked with some mods and afterdawn addicts on the forum and this and xilisoft came highly recommended. I didnt mind paying 49 bucks + 20 to get the dl software and the actual software delievered to my door. It could be user-related as well. I was pretty excited when i started going. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well, that program is no good for burning video files/folders, so you can just use it for Disk to Disk copies. When compression comes into it, we can get on with other software. :)

12. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Really? Accompanied With anydvd the intervideo software does not recognize that the dvd is copyrighted. Before installing Anydvd all the music videos were not able to be copied because of the copyright. However you are saying it's useless for copying a movie? Now that you know Anydvd works with the intervideo software is your reply still the same? If so then i agree the education will continue. As long as you dont mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No I didn't say that. You NEED AnyDVD, for any dvd you wish to rip. Also, you need INtervideo for disk to disk copies on DL media. However, you don't wan't to burn dvd movie files ripped with AnyDVD using INtervideo. There are better programs, but we will come to that.

14. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Would those programs happen to be free or inexpensive? Thanks for keeping the "cool teaching head." I'm a bit high strung and this new hobby has gotten me all amped up.

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, you can sucessfully remove menus and then burn to a Single Layer dvd all for free.

Here's how to do it..

1. Rip your dvd film to your harddrive.
    2. Search for and Download a program called DVDShrink.
    3. Open the Video_TS folder into DVD Shrink.
    4. Click "re-author" at the top and then drag the "main movie" across to the "new dvd" box.
    5. Hit backup, at the top, and dvd shrink will do it's thing.

This guide will make that bit easier for you.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Now, use this guide to burn those files to DVD.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/418814

That will sort you for the other side of it. :)

Ask away, I'm here to help you after all. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  16. bahgee

bahgee Guest

I wish all ppl in here were as courteous as you. I will definitly do what you recommend. I dig the idea of less money for the media. Does the compression take away from the quality of the Video or Audio? This has always intrigued me. So in a nutshell when i need a movie w/ (menus and all), I should use DVD + R DL's to burn it. {In essence hold on to my DL's for special things like dvd music concerts or possibly a special movie where i need the menu, bonus features etc.}.. Secondly, i should go buy some dvd +r's and get rolling on movies I get from friends or from other places w/ the DVDshrink? Just want to clarify. I do appreciate your help and will check out the links. Get back to you soon. thanks as always.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No, there isn't a loss of quality that you would notice. Yes, save your DLs for special movies and concert dvds. Also, go and buy some DVD+R Verbatim disks and get cracking on your SingleLayer burning. It's easy once you know how. And hey, if anything went wrong, I'm here to help ;-)

And just to clarify on my part, you need to rip the dvds with anyddv before using dvd shrink on the files. :)

18. bahgee

bahgee Guest

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Use the AfterDawn link, the top one is a scam. You dont ever need to enter details to recieve free software, and plus, there's no new version out. Lol?

20. bahgee

bahgee Guest

good to know. Do they update DVDshrink like Anydvd?