1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Help Please.......

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by peepers, Oct 13, 2007.

1. peepers

peepers Member

Hey guys,
    I have a dell optiplex gx260 with xp which I recently updated to sp2.
    The computer ran fine for a few weeks and now I'm encountering some strange problems.
    When I open 'my computer' it takes awhile to load, and the flashlight comes up searching for folders. Once it finally loads it takes forever to do anything with it. When I click something such as the close button, it freezes for awhile then finally closes. All the other folders and programs load as soon as I open them (except the folder mentioned below) I've had this issue with slower systems before but this is not a slow system by any means. I can fly around the internet with no problems whatsoever. Everything online loads immediately and runs with no issues.

Second problem I'm having is when I try to open 'my documents' it comes up as drive C not formatted, would you like to format it. This doesn't make sense because everything else on the drive works and this is the only drive in the computer. At first I thought the path to the shortcut had gone bad but I've tried opening it every way possible to no avail. If the drive wasn't formatted it wouldn't have my OS on it or anything else would it?

Neither one of these problems seem to make sense and they are both contradicting of the rest of the system.
    I haven't made any changes that I can think of that would cause these issues. In other words I didn't download something and then start noticing problems. Although there have been quite a few automatic updates installed, but the last round was a few days before the malfunctions.
    I've also ran the task manager during the issues and nothing out of the ordinary is happening. System idle stays high, and there is nothing taking up resources.
    I have used system restore and checked for viruses using spybot.
    Still no luck.

Anyone have any insights as to what could be wrong?
    Thanks so much,
    Ian

2. peepers

peepers Member

Well problems solved....ran chkdsk and everything is back in order.
    Thanks guys,
    Ian