1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LIVE FOOTBALL ON LINE

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by hooter008, Aug 18, 2009.

1. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

If you are in Ireland here is a good site to use

http://www.irishisptest.com
    your speed will go up and down according to the amount of traffic on your server, - some isps allow more connections on there servers then others,but i have thought this site was good here.

2. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

knotaclu thanks
    having done a little research into this i have come to the conclusion
    i have a shite isp who offer a poor modem unable to cope with the speed.
    this is where latency comes into play its almost like saying that my water supply is piped to me through a 6 inch pipe then i connect a 1 inch pipe and expect to get the same flow coming from the bigger pipe,that aint goin to happen..i suppose we learn something new everyday (Bandwidth is just one element of what a person perceives as the speed of a network. Latency is another element that contributes to network speed. The term latency refers to any of several kinds of delays typically incurred in processing of network data. A so-called low latency network connection is one that generally experiences small delay times, while a high latency connection generally suffers from long delays.
    Latency vs. Bandwidth
    Although the theoretical peak bandwidth of a network connection is fixed according to the technology used, the actual bandwidth you will obtain varies over time and is affected by high latencies. Excessive latency creates bottlenecks that prevent data from filling the network pipe, thus decreasing effective bandwidth. The impact of latency on network bandwidth can be temporary (lasting a few seconds) or persistent (constant) depending on the source of the delays.)

3. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

Bloody well put Jackooh!

4. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

what download speed are you ment to be getting from your provider
    because there are ways to boost it to get your full speed you are promised!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  5. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

Would you care to share that info Hooter :)
    Great thread guys - keep the info coming. Has anyone tried the sky link from the web yet?
    Will try it myself this weekend & see how I get on...

6. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

7. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

Yeah I have someone who is paid up with sky - I was more asking if anyone got it up & running yet.

8. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

one of my friends got it up and running no worries, two people here last week said thanks so all i can presume is that it works,
    there was one other person whose kept "buffering" meaning his internet connection was CRAP and not able to keep up with the flow.
    can you not sign up to the link now and watch regular tv for a few minutes? just to check that your broadband can handle it?
    I have no way of trying it as i have no sky account and couldn`t be bothered to badger someone for their details. (I prefer not to know anyones details lol)

9. bluesy

bluesy Member

Hi all, I'm the one who had the buffering problem and have been trying to check this out with my isp. However, have to say it's a great idea and depending on whatever package the sky customer has you can have access to sports, movies etc. Tried to watch something again last night and had no real problem with the buffering, so it seems to be a bit intermittent.

10. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

How`re ya Bluesydid that work last week for you? as in with your buffering problem? I think i mentioned that if you paused it for a few minutes it would build up and basically let your computer store a few minutes info ahead of itself,this normally stops the buffering effect. as in your computer will not have to hang around buffering(waiting for the next bit of info to come in so it can play it?) What service are you with Bluesy? i.e. Eircom,BT ? and what should your connection be i.e. 1mb or 3mb connection?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  11. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

No can do - in work I'm afraid.
    I'll get the details over the weekend though & give it a lash.
    Cheers.

12. bluesy

bluesy Member

Hi Knotaclu, I was trying to watch a match and couldn't see where I could pause though noticed if I changed to lower picture quality the buffering was not so much of a problem. Tried watching a movie last night and didn't have much of a problem at all, only thing was I tried to download it so it could be watched later when offline but it didn't seem to work. Isp is Eircom and is supposed to be "up to 3mb download speeds".

13. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

Same service as me mate - I have download speed of 2.61mb and upload speed of approximately 340 kbps which is strong enough to watch most, i normally stick to streams around the 400kb to 700kbps and very very rarely have a problem
    check out the link below for a good speed test website here for Ireland i have always found it to be very consistent.
    http://www.irishisptest.com/login.php?meh=0
    You will need to install "java" but you will get that link on the site good luck bud!

14. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

knotaclu yep this seems to be pretty good http://www.irishisptest.com/login.php?meh=0
    ithink i have the same set up as you (eir-con)my service seems to be all over the shop,my quality of service can go anywhere between 1% and 96% (depending peak or off peak)which shows that youre connection is unable to provide a constant stream of data.
    this is key to providing a high quality voice over -ip connection,so sound is likely to be broken hence freeze play freeze play etc.i am going to try one of those usb mobile connections for better success.

cheers to all.......

15. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

yes you are right about when they say up to ...speed you only get 3/4 of it, but there are ways to get the most of what you are supposed to get
    well i am on irish b.band breeze 2meg download & 2meg upload and the ping is usually 15ms, and mine never goes down past 1.9 if im on the computer only and at anytime of day, and that is with a ratio of around 24-1 or 36-1 not quite sure which one it is,
    and right now my son is on his x.box and im getting 1.86 download speed 155 upload but my ping has gone up to 35ms thats still not bad,
    now there is a legal way to get the best out of your modem or router
    with a pc modem router booster (cant post pictures incase its classed as advertising) and then there is the other way
    which when i find it on my one of my usb sticks ill send it to you
    JaneyMack :)
    ps:sorry for going off thread topic

16. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

Jackooh....Eircon is normally pretty stable you shouldn`t be getting those size fluctuations,If you get a chance,go online and update your network drivers,also are you using the wireless internet while watching?or are you using the rj45 lead?
    Maybe need to clean out your temp files E.T.C.
    just maybe your wireless signal is blocked by the positioning of the modem.Don`tbuy any usb mobie adapter,we will have you up and running by saturday. : ) !
    Knotaclu

17. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

The one thing those mobile broadband sticks do is fluctuate!! Ridiculously!

18. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

now there is a legal way to get the best out of your modem or router
    with a pc modem router booster (cant post pictures incase its classed as advertising) and then there is the other way
    which when i find it on my one of my usb sticks ill send it to you
    JaneyMack :)
    ps:sorry for going off thread topic[/quote]

Please do. :)

19. london01

london01 Member

Hi Guys

I have a sly package in my apt in dublin.
    I have tried the sly player on line running off the @2 mobile broadband.

I find the sly player very bad on my laptop i get a broke ip picture all the time,
    it does improve a little when turn down the picture quality.
    I ran a speed test and results as follows, what do ye think ?

Download speed...1.62mbs
    Upload speed...0.33mbs
    ping....251ms

isp...2.4 out of 5

20. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

I think you're just on a 2meg broadband connection & your ping is running very high which could indicate the data is taking a couple of hops before it reaches you..
    What were you pinging?