1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LMNTD is missing...

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Charlzz, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

Is anyone of you know what is LMNTD? I f up cloning system from HDD to SSD and got all kinds of problems with boot sector etc. It end up with error at boot:
    "LMNTD is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

First time I have ever seen such an error. Anyone? Tried Google but nothing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I could be wrong, but I think you mean NTLDR is missing. That might be why your efforts to search for an answer might not have turned anything up.

3. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

Nope it clearly stands LMNTD with capital letters. I am amazed too. Never seen that before so as Google. I can post a screenshot as a proof.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A screenshot might be helpful just to see the error report. I've never heard of an "LMNTD" error, but an NTLDR error which gives the exact same "is missing" report, are common.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

google shows NTLDR error when searching for LMNTD" error as I had already looked.

6. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

Here you are. Strange. 20210108_024428.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What operating system or version of Windows are you using? And what are the drives by make and model are you cloning? To be clear, no version of Windows gives that message.

8. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

Both Win 10 and Win 7 on different disks. Win 10 is on Samsung SSD and it is working fine. Win 7 was on HDD I tried migrating it to Kioxia SSD but I did it wrong choosing cloning partitions rather than cloning system. After that Win 7 on Kioxia not working. Overall I had 3 systems on three different disks. All visible in windows boot manager. Win 10 bootable on Samsung SSD, Win 7 on old HDD still bootable, and Win 7 on Kioxia SSD not bootable because I f up. All of sudden I make it even worse, (dunno why such a stupid idea came into my mind) I have renamed Windows catalog on old HDD to oldWindows and everything f up even more. I renamed to Windows again but it was already too late. Tried fixing with rescue windows tools but it couldn't find Windows installation neither on HDD and on Kioxia SSD, tried bootrec commands etc. but it make problem even bigger I think. At the moment the mess is huge. Only Windows 10 is working fine on Samsung SSD. Bootable Win 7 on HDD behaving strange, loading long and all USB ports are offline so I can't using mouse or keyboard.
    Maybe clearing, formating reserved partition on both HDD and Kioxia SSD would help and then trying to repair using rescue windows tools?

9. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

I found LMNTD file in system reserved partition on Kioxia SSD. Plik means file ;) I am polish. 20210109_003801.

10. ddp

what cloning program are you using as might explain LMNTD file?

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I hadn't considered that there might be a language difference, but I noticed Polish in your image. Now I'm firmly convinced that what you're posting as LMNTD, is what we call NTLDR, they are one and the same. So if you revise your search to NTLDR, you will have much better luck finding the answer. And don't worry about having and acting on stupid ideas, you're in good company here on AD. So try this, revise your searches and replace LMNTD with NTLDR. Do you have your original Windows Install Disc? If so you can use it to make repairs to the NTLDR/LMNTD.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  12. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

Macrium Reflect. LMNTD is missing showing only when Kioxia SSD is plugged to mainboard alone. When Samsung SSD with Win 10 and Kioxia SSD with bad cloning Win 7 are both plugged in error is different 0xc0000098.

13. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

I see. I have few new ideas now. I am using bootable from usb Windows Install Disc but still it can't find any Win installation on Kioxia and in old HDD. They are there but it can't find it. Thanks for replies guys I really appreciate it. Already like AD on FB :) Nice community you have here.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Is the version of Macrium you're using translated to Polish? If so, I suspect you could be running into a cross language issue. Have you tried forcing your system to boot only into the USB drive? You can go into bios and disable everything in your boot order except USB. It won't cause you any harm because if nothing happens you can always go back into bios and reset your boot order. I've had issues in the past where the bios failed to see a drive during install so I disabled everything and then windows install finds it.

Welcome to AD!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  15. ddp

Sophocles, I think you mean bios not bias.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Correct! I'll edit.

17. Charlzz

Charlzz Newbie

So to close the subject. I focused only on old HDD with Win7 and I have connected it solo. The main problem Win7 Recovery couldn't repair it was pendrive in USB 3.0. I've changed slot to USB 2.0 and everything gone smooth. Now I will clone system the way as it should be done
    Thanks guys for time. Case closed.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You're welcome, and good luck. Don't forget to drop in every now and then just to say hello. Just pop into the "Safety Valve" forum.

Charlzz likes this.