1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locking/Unlocking HDD on xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by vegasfmx, Jan 21, 2008.

1. vegasfmx

vegasfmx Member

Hey guys i just have a simple question about locking/unlocking Hdd on the xbox.... What does it actually do when you do lock it and it's purpose.. And does it matter if it is unlocked????? depending on the answer to the first question....
    Cheers Guys

2. DLyon4

DLyon4 Regular member

Okay if I understand this correctly it is like password protected to prevent you from modifing the contents. When the xbox is turned on the eeprom mathces the info it has about the HDD with the HDD, if everything checks out then it unlocks and allows access to boot the dashboard. That is why you can't just swap HDDs in an xbox, there is info on the drive that has to match the eeprom. Each HDD is matched to the console. So when swapping you actually unlock and lock from a pc. If I also understand the drive has to be in a locked state when the console boots or it will show a HDD error.
    I hope this helps and if I got any of this wrong I'm sure it will get corrected.

3. vegasfmx

vegasfmx Member

Ahhhhh I see!!!!! Yeah i understand now sweet. thanks for your help DLyon4. I thought i would check b4 i put a new hdd in my xbox but all makes sense so thanks again for your replY... Cheers...