1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logging into Windows XP Problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by uglydude, Aug 17, 2004.

1. uglydude

uglydude Member

I am exausted from looking around for a solution to this.

I have a laptop with Windows XP Home. And when it boots and takes me to the Welcome Screen, none of my usernames appear.

Then I hit ctrl-alt-del twice and I get the logging screen I type my administrator account password it says its not it.

I went ahead and bought a $200 program that permits you to change the administrator account using either a bootable floppy or bootable cdrom, and It cannot find the administrator account.

Normally I would just format the machine. But I have a very important work in there I don't have backup from it.

I have posted here before and I have received help before so I hope someone can help me with this huge problem.

I have tried accesing the laptop through safe mode and what not and I am still stuck.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

A bit of a problem. The best product for changing passwords is Lophtcrack - though I can't say I have tried it on XP.

Windows NT versions store the passwords in the SAM file.

You can try http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

The other thing you can do is reload your software - affectively dual booting your machine.

Finally, take the hard drive out and piggy back it on another machine - your choice.

Hope this helps

Phil