1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

logon failure, cant access computer on network

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by 305Graph, Jul 9, 2006.

1. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

logon failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

i got 2 computer running on my network both running win xp home edition and i used to access both but for some reason i cant access my tower any more, it all started when my tower got infected with lots of spyware that blocked and disabled my firewall thos leaving it wide open, after battleing them suckers out i got my firewall reset to its original settings and still have certain policies blocked and i cant config my local group policies thru mmc snap-in becouse it doesnt show up .......any help would be appreciated

2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Sounds like your firewall is blocking the connection. Try disabling it and see if the connection can be made.

3. pernal

pernal Regular member

It sounds like your firewall(thats if everything was set good with your router and was working before).

4. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

even with firewall disable i cant connect, settings in the group polacies gotta be blocking me

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

See if you can get into Local Security Policy under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.

6. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

you can not access local group policies on windows xp cuz its not supported instead it tells you to use the user accounts which are useless

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

8. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

i have already been down that the path without any susscess according
    to BIll people should be able to access LOcal group policies(LGP) using the snap-in on mmc but theres where problem begin, any thats familiar with win xp sp2 knows there is no LGP snap-in on mmc so i dont know what wtf they talkin 'bout, this all seems very funny to me that an outsider was able to fusk around with my LGP setting and i can't do jack

9. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

10. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

ohh man i do really apreciate ur time but how can i make my self any clearer, Group Policy(GP) does not appears under Available Stand-alone Snap-ins on mmc atleat in my pc, playing with computers is like playing with video games for me so trust me when i say that theres no way to access group policies thruw mmc on my pc even after formating the drive and a clean install of windows xp or sp2. i no longer have the problem anymore since i started everything from scrash but still i would like to know and should be able to access my GP just in case it happends again... i would like u to tell if u can see GP in ur pc under (Available Stand-alone Snap-ins) in mmc plz

11. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

thats if ur running Win xp sp2

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Yes, I'm running XP SP2 and it's there.

13. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

home or pro?

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

The Pro version. Let me ask around and see if I can find some with the Home version if it's there.

15. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

16. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I had different people check on their Home versions to see if it was there. All of them reported it wasn't. From this, I can say that it is only available on the Pro version.

17. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

so is there a way to control GP on home edition? or file sharin besides win firewall cuz remember the original problem was i wasnt able to access my tower on my network

18. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Have you tried uninstalling the firewall on the tower, setting up the coneection and then reinstalling the firewall?

19. 305Graph

305Graph Regular member

u know i didnt try that but i dont think u could cleanly uninstall windows firewall, doesnt it comes intergraded with sp 2 ?

20. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Yes. You could uninstall the SP2. Then reinstall.