1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longevity of media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jstern, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jstern

jstern Member

I just tried to copy a copy of a movie I burnt years ago (Caddyshack) and had problems reading the info from the disk using multiple copy programs: Nero, Roxio EZ Media, Ulead DVD MovieFactory, CloneDVD, among others. I finally got it using my old DVDXRescue - thank goodness I didn't delete it. I was getting CRC read errors, even though the surface was clean and the copy was previously OK.

My question: What is the longevity of DVD recording media? The disk is a Verbatim DVD+R. Do I have to worry that my DVD backups are degrading in their cases as I go about my daily business?

2. ireland

ireland Active member

3. ireland

ireland Active member

4. onya

onya Guest

Short answer...NO.

If you look after them correctly(away from sunlight, heat,moisture,abrasion,strong magnetic fields etc) you can look forward to passing them on to your grandkiddies as curiosities. Who knows what they will be using then?

Cheers.

5. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Many of the higher quality media such as Verbatim are implementing special dyes that supposedly ensure the long life of your DVD media. Stick with the newer high quality media and you should be good to go!