1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a good DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by exploit, Jul 16, 2005.

1. exploit

exploit Member

Hey guys what up,

I'm looking to buy a new high tech DVD player that will play pretty much everything. I have a slot-load RCA DRC310N DVD player that only really plays DVD+R. But I was looking for advice from you guys for a new one. You know, something I can rely on to play different media formats. Not just for DVD but for music media also.

Im sure you know what I mean, I'm looking for a really good one! Thanks for any advice.Peace

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  2. Integra09

Integra09 Guest

Apex, even thought they are really cheap, they play everything. i have one. Also i have a pansonic xp50. really nice. plays everything also.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Theres so many goods ones .actually the less expensive ones play EVERYTHING as Apex ,Phillips etc. i have a Denon thats great and Samsung and Sony are good too. just check out the specks before you get one

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@aabbccdd

what model number is YOUR denon that you own? i have the flagship one as well, but have been ridiculed TOO much here on AD since i paid $2k for it~ :) denon makes GREAT dvd players and i would suggest to anyone a solid denon who can afford it~ :) it's picky on some dvds...but, mine upscales ALL dvds to HDTV format so that is an added plus... :)

my cheaper panasonic plays EVERYTHING i throw at it...happens to be a 5-disc carosel one...sony also makes good dvd players as well~ i do have an apex too that plays EVERYTHING too, gave it to my wife's family so they can play the backups i make for them :)

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Hi Kivory i have the Denon DVD2910
    ,great player i always seem to buy quality even though the less expenisive players work great also.

Denon does have a less expenisive one, the model number is the DC-1710 for around 129.00 to 149.00 depending on the area your in and its def. a great unit, you just cant go wrong with a Denon

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hi aabbccdd,

i have the OLDER flagship, the dvd-5900~ :) it has been discontinued as of now, but, it still works great~ yeah, i paid $2k at the time a few years ago and since i mentioned it here on AD, i have received several insults/ridicule...so, anyways, i can stand by Denon's high quality components~ :) Denon isn't for everyone, since the higher end models are pricey...but, they definitely DO deliver in terms of high quality output and build quality` :)

p.s. im actually looking at the NEW dvd-5910 now, but, for $3,500 i think i'll wait until my dvd-5900 explodes or something :)

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

oh, btw, may i ask how much you paid for your 2910? did you get the black version or the silver? msrp is $739 right now~ :) denon is VERY picky about AUTHORIZED e-tailers and sellers, the manufacturer warranty is NOT VALID if purchased from stores NOT listed on their website~ :)

i bought my old dvd-5900 almost 2 years ago from crutchfield.com, if you check it IS one of the authorized e-tailers even now~ :) it still works great, haven't had to RMA it for repairs or anything yet~ :) *knocks on wood* hope i never have to either~ it's heavy heavy heavy...like 40lbs~

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i think i payed 649.00 for it at a high end audio shop in Indianapolis ,Ovation

Guess we belong to the more money than brains club huh Kivory LOL

9. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

oh come on kivory, it aint freakin brain surgery ;-)

if i keep hearing the word "murder" over and over every time i look at my little apex player as it begins to crap out on me, is that a problem i should be worried about? maybe i got an extra murder gland or something, any chance on plucking that out for me?

aabbccdd - watch out for the sanyo up at our wally world, it's picky as hell. the Ilo DVD-bruner is nice but it gets picky too and the load times are wayyyy to long for my liking. but it works (comes in handy for UFC pay per views that "magically" come in on my satelite)

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

right on darthnip

and i heard we are finally get a new supercenter wal-mart huh lol
    guess its about time ,that old store really looks bad , its really ran down,dirty etc.

11. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@darthnip

hehe, perhaps i could take a look at what needs "plucking out"...murder gland..hehehe, ill have to do some more reading into that one...brain surgery can get really complicated at times, but, the pay is decent...that's the only way i can afford the high end DENONS :)

i have an apex player myself, i bought it really inexpensively on the clearance rack here at my local best buy; i got it initially to give to my wife's family as a gift, but the fact that it READS everything i throw at it...i gave my wifes' family one and went and got another for myself~ LOL...can never have too many "toys" in my book~

@aabbccdd

you got a good price on your denon...i've been itching to get the newest flagship the 5910..but, i know i will get a bi*chin from the wife that will never cease if i do, so, i will have to wait until i get her a very expensive handbag or a new car to make up for it~ :) (which won't be for awhile since im in a "slump" right now in terms of patients/day ratio vs. laborious paperwork)

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

heres the info on that player from our local high end audio store Ovation iam sure thay would ship to you for that price

SINGLE DISC PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYER Denon DVD2910

The latest DCDi processor powers this progressive scan/scaling DVD player by the Faroudja FLI-2310 decoding engine, the finest available processing for film, video, graphics, or mixed-mode content. Packed with cutting edge technology like the new ESS Vibrato “Chromo Bug Free” MPEG/DVD-Audio decoder and CXD-2753 Second Generation DSD decoder to give you a truly cinema like picture. Plays DVDs, DVD-Audio, SACDs, MP3s, and CDs.
    Please Select Color
    SelectBlackSilver

Tell a friend $649.95

and mines Black

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

14. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

thanks aabbccdd~ :) i was born and raised in Indiana, so i guess it would be nice of me to give back to my home state huh?

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sure that would be cool . not much happin here in IN. but its a still a great place to live

16. darthnip

speak for yourself there buddy, Anderson is the armpit of america! but hey we grow 2 things very VERY well, and one of them is corn ;)

17. catfreak

catfreak Active member

••• My Philips DVP642 will play just about anything you can put in it ..... poorly •••

••• And yes, Anderson, Indiana has to be about the worst place on earth to live (except for maybe Iraq) •••

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  18. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

LOL... there was acres and acres of corn as i lived right behind a farm when i was living in IN~ :) what is the other thing that IN grows very well darthnip? been in CALI too long to even know anymore :p

sorry to take this sooo off topic, i would still recommend a Denon for those who want a solid, very reliable dvd player~ :)

19. darthnip

well our other major crop cant be discussed too much, but anyone that knows me knows i'm quite fond of it ;)

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

••• I can't imagine that any 'hippie lettuce' grown in Anderson can compare with the California Chronic •••

••  Sticking to the thread's topic • My pair of LiteOn™ LVW-5005 DVD recorders are far better DVD players than my Phillips™ DVP642 (which really disappointed me) ••

•   And darthnip, we really need to hook up • PM me •