1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a lcd hdtv...

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by tttomius, Nov 3, 2007.

1. tttomius

tttomius Member

i'm looking for one that i can hook up my computer and hook up direct tv to watch tv....is the lcd hdtv appropriate for me?...looking for a 26 or 32 in screen. i'm looking for a good one and a reasonable price. please help.
    thanks.

2. tttomius

tttomius Member

what do you look for in getting a really good high quality view?
    any recommendation.

3. tttomius

tttomius Member

4. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

tttomius,

I'm no professional, but I'd say that one isn't that great, the resolution is 1366x768, the best you'll get out of it is 720P (true reproduction that is) it "says" 1080i, the 1080i means 1080 lines of resolution, interlaced. you can't really fit 1080 lines into 768, unless they use a downconversion, .... for every 1 1/2 real lines, they squeeze them into one of the lines displayable by the TV. The price they are asking for only 768 lines is abit high IMHO. I've got a 19" LCD that does 1440x900, still not true 1080i, but closer. the true 1080i's are still pretty expensive, or very big.

If anyone wants to correct e here, ... tia, like I said, I'm not expert by any stretch of the word.

5. tttomius

tttomius Member

6. c1c

c1c Regular member

one important thing to remember is contrast ratio. The whole 720p/1080 garbage shouldnt really matter on a tv this size. Hight the ratio for contrast better blacks and white levels.

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

The problem with contrast ratio numbers is that they're terribly unreliable when comparing brands. As of now there has been no standardized way to measue CR and each brand has its own method. This results in some overblown and hyped up numbers.

For example, a Vizio from Walmart will come with a very difficult to believe 15,000:1 CR. OTOH a Toshiba or Sony LCD panel will come with a more down-to-earth and credible 5,000:1 number.

Until they come out with a standard measurement I say forget the numbers. Trust your eyes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007