1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For A New Alternative To Convert AVI To DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by t0t, Jan 14, 2007.

1. t0t

t0t Member

Hi all, first and foremost great forum. Very informative. Well up to now I've been using ConvertXtoDVD to convert my avi files into DVD format. But I've noticed that on all of my DVD conversions/burns there is always some sort of pixelation/artifacting, mostly in the particularly dark scenes. Scenes that show the night sky, dark walls, heavy shadows, solid colored walls, etc. I know that once I convert an AVI file into DVD format the quality will be worse than that of the original AVI file, but the artifacting/pixelation that occurs is somewhat unbearable and is very noticeable. I make sure to always use a high quality AVI video source, I'll get my hands on "dvd-rips" for example, and the quality will be severely worsened once burnt to DVD. Particulary the dark scenes, as explained above. There'll be little multi-colored blocks, pixelation, artifacting, etc.

So I'm now looking for an alternative. I'm a newby and I've only tried a handful of programs (ConvertXtoDVD and WinAVI to be precise) and I'm looking for a new alternative. It doesn't have to be an "all-in-one" solution like ConvertXtoDVD and WinAVI are. I don't mind using multiple programs in order to get the best quality possible. But keep in mind I am a newby. Thanks for any and all help, I appreciate it.

2. collarme

collarme Regular member

3. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

My best recommendation (which is what I've been doing since I've started the whole process read as: from the time I was a newbie) is using TMPEG to encode and another program to author. A lot of people like tmpeg express for it's ease of use, but as you start to learn more, I find tmpegenc plus to be a better overall, given the amount of options. There are wizards in either to encode to a dvd compliant mpeg format and both have advanced options to get higher quality and do certain edits, plus just has more of them than express. I use STOIK video converter to convert them from their original formats if they're not compatible with tmpeg to start with.

From there, chose a dvd author that gives you what you want, while being easy to use, but the more you get into it the more you'll want more features, so I would recommend to give dvdlab a try for the authoring part. Just remember, there's always a learning curve, but the more you know, the more you'll find yourself able to do what you want, instead of just what your program allows you to do. Good luck with your next step.

4. t0t

t0t Member

Thanks so much for replying, both of you! Great suggestions.

In response to collarme:
    The application Dvd Flick seems to be somewhat unknown, correct? This is my first time hearing about it and I'd like to hear what other people think of it as well. I'll read the reviews provided on VideoHelp and look into it, but I'd really love to get some second opinions on the application from folks here. Thanks for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it.

Magus7091:
    Wow. Very informative post. I've been hearing good things about TMPEG so I'll be sure to check it out. Seems to be one of the most well known encoders out if memory serves (I've been doing a bit of research). As always I'd like to get more second opinions on the application. Is it possible to add "filters" or "effects" in TMPEG? Such as the ability to sharpen the video, crop, soften up the video, etc.? Also, would you guys say it's "the best" encoder available? Or at least the solution I'm looking for?

As far as the DVD authoring program goes, are there any other programs you guys would reccomend? I'd like to get some more second opinions as far as authoring programs go, and move on from there. As stated before, I just want to get the best quality possible. I apologize if I come off as picky, but after about a year of bad encodes/burns, I'm ready for something better.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  5. noddy2007

noddy2007 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  6. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

As far as I know those filters are available in the "out of the box" version of tmpeg plus, don't know about express as I don't use it, but I've never had to add anything to tmpeg and get great results, may add more to this later after I do some research.