1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a new dvd writer

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by john179, Jun 18, 2004.

1. john179

john179 Active member

Iam looking at buying a new dvd writer in the next couple of weeks to add to my 4 x speed lite on dvd in order to dump my 52 x speed cd writer.I have never been one for speed but more for quality although i can see the advantage of writeing on the fly with 2 dvd drives.My question is iam looking for value for money along with quality haveing had pioneer dvd writer's in the past i tried a lite on 4 x speed when changeing from a 2 x speed pioneer.Now iam looking at the 8 x speed dual layer drivers and have 3 drivers in mind which are the following three.
    Sony DRU-700
    Lite on SOHW-8325
    NEC ND-2510
    Can anyone advise me whih one is the best value for money.I know a mate of mine has always had sony and swears by them but has problem's with some of the software i use.The lite on drives well i have one my present and have only had the odd problem with cheap media and i would swear buy the drive.The NEC i have had alot of friends recomend so iam confused.What do all you pc buffers recomend as iam not in a rush for this drive but would like some user experience in these drives before i purchase if possible.
    Cheers
    John179

2. john179

john179 Active member

Yet another one to consider LG GSA-4120BA Duel Layer
    dvd+r x 12 speed dvd-r 8 x speed 40 x speed cdr and 24 x speed cd-rw.Come on boys fill me in on these drives.This one is priced at £70:44 what do i go for??????????????????

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

4. blader

blader Member

Yeah I want a double layer the new word replacing dual
    for DVD9 or 8.5 GBz to hook up my D1000 copy protection removing device. You think $250 is a lot of money but when it comes down your now able record in the best XP and still get your movie on without going to a lower grade recording. Double layer xp with copyless d-1000 who needs expensive blu ray at $4,000 + as it is selling for in Japan. If it ever gets out the of the barn of copy protectors realm of algorithms over on our shores or the yanks across the pond.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Buy anything but an LG. There are plenty of threads with people having nothing but problems trying to get those things working.

I believe fasfrank has the Sony DRU-700 and is happy with it. Out of the three you listed I'd probably go for the Lite-On, but I'm waiting for a Plextor or Pioneer myself (and media at a sane price).