1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a new extternal drive. Plextor looking good. Ideas?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by nocluebro, May 7, 2009.

1. nocluebro

nocluebro Guest

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I usually buy prebuilt computers since I wouldn't trust myself with building one, but one of my internal drives just died on me so I'm looking for an external. I've been looking at the plextor PX Q840U since I heard plextor is pretty good quality and the qflix feature seems like it would be nice.

Now the main question I have are about plexutilities Are they really that much of an advantage when it comes to updating the drive?

Please don't shun me for not knowing too much. I'm trying to learn and make a good decision on something that I hope will last a good while.

-j

2. tikitimbo

tikitimbo Member

I was actually asking about this same drive last month. Well, I have since gotten the driveand it works great! The plexutilties is good, it automatically checks for firmware udpates, and has a lot of these diagnostic tools which are too advanced for me, but im sure its helpful if you know what you're doing.

haven't quite gotten around to use the qflix feature, but thats next on my to do list.

Also, don't use the word shun, cause its just asking to be shunned! :)

3. nocluebro

nocluebro Guest

Cool. Thanks a lot. I'll go order one today then.

4. nocluebro

nocluebro Guest

It's me again, and I still haven't ordered a drive, but I found something interesting on the plextors site. Apparently there's an updated version of plexutilites that came out? Now how would that benefit me over the previous versions taht are included with the drive?

Would be really beneficial to know. thanks guys. Still learning, really slowly.

5. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

I ain't your bro, NoClueBro. But to answer your question, PlexUtilities is a very useful tool. It pretty much lets you do all the tasks, including maintenance, updating, diagnostics, and testing all in one place. For example, the PlexScan utility lets you scan the surface of a disc before burning it, just in case, which is quite often the case, the media is crappy. Oh, and checking for firmware updates can also be done through PlexUtilities. Some other cool features include a self-diagnostics test so you don't have to call the jerks at tech support and the PlexErase feature which lets you destroy the contents of an incriminating disc.

yeah, some of the other features are a little advanced or useless, such as the thing to measure the % of degradation for the laser diode...what?

All in all, it's coo & it's free.

BA