1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a phone I can use in several countries

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by bethsheba, Nov 5, 2010.

1. bethsheba

bethsheba Member

I had an older Nokia phone which had a removeable sim card that I bought while in Iraq in 2004. I've been able to use this phone anywhere but it got wet and I've not been able to get it to work properly. I can't find the same phone and the new Nokia's I've found hven't had the unlocked feature or removeable sim card. I'm looking for something simple- just texting and calling
    It doesn't have to be Nokia but since I'm rough on electronic equip. am not looking for anything with the reputation of falling apart easily.

Love this website by the way -just discovered it today!

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I'm using a nokia 2690.got it brand new about 2months ago.its easy to use.It didnt have any locks.Dropped it a few times and it still works fine.Even got usb port and micro sd card slots on it.It has a removable simcard,still using my old sim card which i got about 3years ago.
    take a look

3. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

first ring up your provider "02" "vodafone" ect...ect.. and ask them for the NAC unlock code

any fone "sim free" should do ya
    there is codes in the link below for most fones to unlock
    if you dont find the code for your fone, try if you have a china town near where you live most of the repair or 2nd hand sale shops will unlock for you @£10

LINK

also if you got a fone on a previous bill pay, that should be sim free already but some companys do not unlock and you have to ask them

4. bethsheba

bethsheba Member

Sounds interesting. Will check the link out -I'm in Latin America but will be moving to Middle east in Jan for 6 months, then to the U.S. 6months, then latin america..... I like to keep things simple where ever possible. Thanks for the link!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. bethsheba

bethsheba Member

Don't have a provider. Sim free? Not sure what you mean by that. Thanks for your reply but honestly having a bit of a time trying to decipher what you are saying.

6. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

Sorry i assumed you already had another fone that was already locked to a certin provider,
    But if you do get a fone from a friend, neighbour, family member you can try what i wrote below

Sim Free means you can use any/all types of providers sim card in the fone (not restricted to just 1 sim in the fone), You can use a sim card from T.MOBILE, AT&T, VODAFONE, METEOR ect..ect.

If you ring up the provider who the "fone" is locked to and ask them for the unlock code,
    Usualy called an NAC UNLOCK CODE or SUBSIDY CODE, you will then be able to put whatever sim card in your fone you like!!

Also the link i provided in my previous post gives you a list of fones that you can unlock yourself by following the directions/instructions in it, (if you put the wrong code in 3 times you will not be able to unlock your fone with another code!!

If you have a China Town or MARKET where you live, You could get it unlocked there in 1 of the repair places or 2nd hand phone shops by computer,
    It would cost around £10-£15 to get unlocked
    Also they sell phoned there already unlocked that can be used with any sim or in any country

PS read what i wrote in the link aswell if you purchase a new fone (ready to go type) regards unlocking fee