1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a program to add border

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by talish4221, Jun 26, 2014.

1. talish4221

talish4221 Member

So my brother in-law is an aspiring photographer who is looking to have one or more of his best photos printed on canvas. as he has described it to me the process will remove X amount of the image as the canvas is wrapped around the frame. One of the photos he wants to use would lose part of its appeal in that process and he wanted to find a way to add a border to the image without sacrificing any image quality so that it would still be full frame on the canvas. He has several programs already but said he cant find any that will do what he is looking for. I was asked to help him locate a program and learn how to do that. I have almost zero knowledge about photography, but would consider myself to be fairly advanced in computer software understanding and figured such a thing should be possible. Figured I would ask here since this is where I find most of my software recommendations and guides on all things digital.

Thanks in advance for any and all input you all might have for me.

2. jkglad

jkglad Member

Sue Chastain - About.com Graphics Software
    Try Sue Chastain - About.com Graphics Software. I get her blogs and they are very helpful. Some over my head. Actually, many over my head. But I have learned a lot and her instructions are well planned and laid out. This week's email had a section devoted to frames that can be downloaded depending on the software your brother-in-law already has. The url she posted is: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshopdownloads/ss/18-Square2014.htm?nl=1 If this is not what he is looking for, maybe one site will lead to another, etc. Hope this helped.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Actually quite simple to do with LAYERS .. scale your image in mm (not pixels).. then make a blank (white or whatever, or even transparancy) base layer xx mm larger (simple counting on fingers IF the final printer is honest in scaling), then centre your image on the base layer and merge down.. Most image editing progs will handle that, but I use Gimp (all free) and for some reason it's stupidly easy compared to the things you pay (supposedly :D) for.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

GIMP is fine, and it's even more straightforward than that really. Just change the canvas size of your image to account for the wrap-around section and save it as whatever format you need.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-resize.html

Edit: Hello P!

5. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Another easy and very light-weight alternative is my favourite image viewer/editor - IrfanView.

1. Open up the image
    2. Choose Image, Add border/frame
    3. Choose "Plain white" (or maybe "Plain black" for better effect) and enter the desired amount (default 15px) to the first box
    4. Choose File, Save as... and save the file as PNG (or JPG with high quality) for best results
    The print shop will probably be able to tell how much border is needed. I'm sure they'd be happy to add the border as well if requested.

6. zomac

zomac Newbie

Ketola likes this.