1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an honest non-biased answer

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by c2sellit1, Dec 2, 2005.

1. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Ok I am looking to update my viewing pleasure. Currently I own a 32" flat screen television w/ everything hooked up via components and the pictures are beautiful w/ truly no complaints.

However, I am catching the fever bug for holiday shopping and looking to upgrade. Now I was wondering if I should go and buy an HD ready television (most likely CRT I am only looking to spend about half a grand I know it isnt much but I am a college student on a budget). Or just purchase a 19" lcd monitor and get an hd-video card and hook my consoles up through their as well as my television.

What is your opinion on this?

Also I since I am on a budget, I can only afford a budget television. Anyhow, I used to own a 27" hdtv it was a Zenith and it blew its tube in like 6 months so I am a bit reluctant to get another one. But I have been looking into a Sanyo Vizon or a Panasonic. The Vizon is a 28" widescreen w/ resolution of 1080i. The other model I am looking at is the panasonic

here is a direct link
    (Panasonic)
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pana...sem/rpsm/oid/123799/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

So anyways what would be my best bet, I am looking for something to last me atleast 3-5 years while providing the best quality available u ntil LCDS his a reasonable range for my wallet....

Or should I stick with what I got?

2. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

At $399 I would go for the panasonic while supplies last! The only thing is, you may want to check to see if the tv has HD-Component Video inputs. HD-Component Video inputs are needed to use the Xbox 360 (in HD mode) and other HD devices. HDMI with HDCP is a nice feature for the price though.

Ced

4. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

5. Darkmagic

Darkmagic Member

um...the panasonic does indeed have 2 component....to get back to the question it will depend on u cause if u want to get a good lcd then go get a lcd but if u dont mind taking that crt then go for the crt but imo i would go for the lcd since u can hook it up to ur pc unless u get one of those adapter for the hdmi on the crt..

6. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Yeah I read over them and missed them, I noticed it had an HDMI input. Which is probably the best you are going to get, problem is my digital boxes that have hd-capabilities only use DVI...The LCD uses the DVI which is great. I am looking for something to last me atleast five years. But I am unsure about the Syntax Kolin brand and more at ease w/ panasonic as it is a more name brand. But I owned an HD-CRT set before and all I got was a 3 month warranty on labor and 12 month on parts and in the end the tube went out around 9 months (no tv should have that problem in that amount of time) it was a Zenith, so overall I am a bit reluctant....

Also another thing that is holding me back on the LCD is I am afraid I am going to thrown down 550 dollars and in a month or two I will be able to pick one up at the store for the same price.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes we know that it has Component Video inputs but it doesn't say that it has HD-Componet Video inputs. Component Video maxs out at 480p. HD-Component Video maxs out at 1080i.

I say if you can afford the depth of the CRT go with the CRT. Tube tvs produce better pictures that LCD sets do (in my opinion). Plus no refresh lag.

Ced

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I think you might have gotten a lemon. Thats why I tell people to buy the warranty! Anyway, HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI so your cable box having DVI and your tv having HDMI isn't an issue. You just need a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter.

Ced

9. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I do have the space for either tv, my 32" fits perfectly on the stand so I see no reason why either one of these wouldnt. The panasonic is 480p and 1080i with no support of 720p while the Syntax is 420p/720p/1080i. The best thing I guess is go look at the Panasonic and have a few looks at the lcd tvs....I am satisfied with either, but I know I will probably get sucked into the new wave of technology w/ the flat panel televisions....

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The panasonic does support 720p but it doesn't display it as such. When it encounters a 720p signal it upconverts it to 1080i. The Syntax converts everything to 720p (its a fixed pixel display). When it encounters a 1080i signal it down-converts to 720p. When it encounters a 480i or 480p signal it upconverts to 720p. The panasonic tube can actually display 480i, (standard def) 480p, and 1080i. The Syntax LCD can only display 720p.

I just realized that the Syntax LCD sucks and you would be better off with the panasonic. The Syntax LCDs max res is 1280x720 (or SVGA). It is recommended that a fixed panel display be at least W-XGA resolution (1366x768). Also the since a long lasting tv set is a requirment, you will want a set with HDMI not DVI since future equipment will be equiped with HDMI.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2005
  11. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

The panasonic does support 720p but it doesn't display it as such. When it encounters a 720p signal it upconverts it to 1080i. The Syntax converts everything to 720p (its a fixed pixel display). When it encounters a 1080i signal it down-converts to 720p. When it encounters a 480i or 480p signal it upconverts to 720p. The panasonic tube can actually display 480i, (standard def) 480p, and 1080i. The Syntax LCD can only display 720p.

I just realized that the Syntax LCD sucks and you would be better off with the panasonic. The Syntax LCDs max res is 1280x720 (or SVGA). It is recommended that a fixed panel display be at least W-XGA resolution (1366x768). Also the since a long lasting tv set is a requirment, you will want a set with HDMI not DVI since future equipment will be equiped with HDMI.

The Panasonic supports 480p/1080i but the LCD does as well but also 720p wouldnt it upconvert the 1080i? (I am a novice at this so forgive me for understanding) but also isnt 720p better quality than 1080i? Also finding an adapter that would convert DVI to HDMI wouldnt be a problem I guess...

Thanks for your advice, I was hoping to get an LCD because of space and weight...MY 32" now weights 160 pounds and a 40 pound tv would be awesome....So I would really not even like to consider the CRT....Looks like I might just stick w/ my current set and wait for another LCD price drop and surf out a better deal.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The max resolution of the LCD is 1280x[bold]720[/bold]. It can't re-produce a 1080i image. To reproduce a 1080i image the display has to have a resolution of atleast 1920x[bold]1080[/bold].

Here is a page that explains it a little.
    http://www.cybercollege.com/dtv_stans.htm

1080i has more lines of resolution but 720p handels motion better. Basicly 1080i looks better but when the action kicks into high gear 1080i starts to produce motion artifacts. 720p stays smooth and keeps up with the action. So If you watch sports and play video games 720p is better. If you watch movies and documentaries 1080i is better. If you really want an excellent picture though, you may want to wait till 1080p displays come down in price! :)

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
  13. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I was looking at a lot of the 27" models in an LCD display...Rarely unless you pay a super high amount of money do they come with the higher resolution...I think I will hold out and wait to see if any good ones go on sale for xmas. If not then I will wait until I find a price drop in a 32" or bigger...Thanks for the help.