1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for DVD Burner?!?!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ProMaz, Dec 26, 2004.

1. ProMaz

ProMaz Member

I have been using a CDRW for years now but am feeling a bit old school and we just got a new home system so I'm wanting to make some DVD's to play on it. I know a tiny bit about formats such as DVD-r/rw, DVD+r/rw, DVD-ROM and so on. I know you can get drives that do one or the other or both BUT (these always a but lol) I have heard about these ... dual layer DVD's or somthing along those lines (they have just started coming out) that hold alot more. Can any one tell me about this please? And also, when I do get my DVD burner, what do i lose or gain by using either DVD-R and DVD+R ??

Thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello promaz, so you want some info on dvd burning.What you want is a dual format burner.Here is a list of the higher performing dvd burners,but no particular order:
    pioneer
    plextor
    nec
    benq
    lite-on

All these high quality burners should offer both dual format and dual layer burning.

What are you gaining with + or dash -?
    Actually your pc should be ok no matter what you are burning.

The difference between those formats in Where are you going to play those backups?

The stand alone players are the one's that are going to play these right? Some of them are formatted + or -, or both.

The dual format discs are still pricey,so I am waiting for that price to come down. I take a dv-9 movie,rip and shrink it down to 4.3 gigs.Still looks almost Identical as the original.

Why 4.3 gigs when the package on the blank disc says 4.7 gigs?
    An actual dvd-r/+r only holds about 4.5 gigs. \
    .2 of a gig got lost through translation.

Why 4.3 gigs? we keep from burning the outer edge of the disc. THis is where uneven dye is and also where your fingers touch it.

This is not cd burning. You just can't slap in an empty ordinary dvd disc and expect it to work. The key to burning dvd is High Quality media.If you want to backup your favorite dvd movies,play them in your stand alones and want them to last longer,High quality media is a must.The cheap crap just isn't worth it, too many errors,coasters, crappy playback on stand alones and many other problems.

you need: High quality dual format burner,High quality software-free here at ad, And High Quality media.RW'S to practice with,no coasters.

All the software,tools,websites for locating the best prices on media,burners, and which ones to stay away from are here at AD.

These are a few tips I share to you to enjoy your new adventure in dvd burning.

Happy Holidays

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have been using sony dvd burners for awhile now and have had very good results . the 710a does all the formats and dual layer also .

4. ProMaz

ProMaz Member

Thanks for your help but what wasn't answered was What is dual layer? and if i use it, will my home dvd player read it??

5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

regular single layer discs only hold 4.7 gigs of data compared to dual layer discs which hold 8.5 gigs of data . dual layer discs are not as cheap as single layer discs . i have had problems playing burned dual layer discs in my stand alone dvd player so im not too sure if they will play for you or not .
    most movies now a days need to be compressed to fit on a single layer 4.7 gig disc . on the other hand if using dual layer 8.5 gig discs the movie will not be compressed as it doesnt need to be to fit on the disc .
    not all burners burn dual layer discs so be sure your burner is a dual layer burner if you want to burn to dual layer disc .
    -r or +r formats is up to you . i use +r with good results . many others use -r with good results . quality is the same either way . most prefer -r as it seems to be compatible with most dvd players .