1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Help With Blu Ray Burning

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by talisman1, Jul 29, 2007.

1. talisman1

talisman1 Member

Im about to take the plunge on an External Blu Ray Burner.
    Im looking at getting this model.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MRFWU25582/
    Since im new to it all anyone that can answer the questions below would be superb.
    1.Which is the cheapest place to order the cheaper Memorex Blu Ray discs? im also looking for 1 RE-Writable so i can play around with.
    2.Since im shelling out $700 on the Blu Ray Burner i don't want to pay $550 for DVDITPRO from ROXIO.
    NERO claim they now support BLU RAY AUTHORING so does anyone have any experience with using Nero 7 to create Blu Ray DVDS?
    3.I have 4 years worth of TS files will all these need to be converted to MPEG2?
    4.Im using the PS3 for Playback will Home Made Blu Ray discs work on the PS3?
    5.Im buying the OWC MERCURY PRO does anyone know anything about this product?
    I can't do Internal as im using 2 Laptops so it has to be USB.
    Anyway im about to order this weekend so any advice before i do would be great.
    Thanks.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

are you hooking this drive up to a desktop or a laptop? have you read up on this drive and what you need to get to make this work for you? ashampoo supports blu-ray burning along with nero, from what i have read about this drive, it don't come with software, what a rip, my self i think i would wait till the prices come down on the drives and on the disks, but read this first, this is pc mag review, they are saying $650.00, here is the link, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2124022,00.asp

3. x87bliss

x87bliss Member

I would also wait til prices come down.

Also be careful when buying the "cheaper" media. Usually the cheaper stuff has a higher coaster rate, in the end costing more per useful burn. I always get my CD/DVD media from either Meritline.com or Supermediastore.com. They both have comparable prices, and pretty good service - definitely cheaper than the stores. They don't have the Memorex media you speak of for blu-ray, I don't know if they carry any Memorex stuff. The cheapest seems to be about $16 a 25gb disc. I don't know how many plants manufacture Bluray discs, and what companies use what plants. I imagine at this point in time they're probably all the same.

I can't say if the PS3 will play burned BR, but I was surprised that my PS2 was my only DVD player that could play DVD+RDL discs. So I would not be surprised if they allow playing of burned Bluray discs. To be sure I would contact Sony.