1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for the ultimate codec

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by AndreL, Feb 2, 2005.

1. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Looking for a codec that decodes every thing, well I know thats almost imposible ... well how about 99.9% of the movies out out there on the Interner. If not a single codec like FFDShow then a good combo of codecs that will do the same job.

Thanks ...

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I can't think of anything that can decode and encode more formats than ffdshow.

For just decoding though, you don't need a codec, just a decoder and for 99.9% coverage you also need splitter filters for formats like mkv, ogm, rmvb, mp4, etc.

Probably the most complete package/player would be mplayer with all the extra codecs in its codecs directory. It can play everything that VLC, excluding DVD menus, plus a whole lot more

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Me too, I can't think of anything that can decode more formats than FFDShow.
    For playback it's all you need :)

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

ffdshow != wmv9

well there're wmv videos out there, no matter how you hate it :)

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

libavcodec now supports vc-1/wmv9 so it is only a matter of time before ffdshow does. WMA pro/lossless I guess would still be an issue, however if they are also part of MS's VC-1 standard then libavcodec may someday support them to.

mplayer supports wmv9 fine by the way.