1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Looking for Xplorer4 and Sammorris' Seal of approval - New Build Sub $800 (CAD) ?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by SDMFer, Feb 9, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Hyper212's a pretty basic cooler, don't expect to overclock a Core i5 very far on one and get good temperatures. The Hyper212 is only really a dual core cooler like the Freezer 7. It can cope with an i5 stock perfectly well, but it's nowhere near as good as the Noctua NH-U9.

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I find it amazing as well and the Core i coolers are even smaller then the stock Core2 coolers. Personally, i think a cpu coolers a good investment no matter what.

I used the Freezer 7 on a Core2Quad Q6600. Im pretty sure the i5 will put out around the same temps, if not a bit more. The Feezer7 wasnt really any better then the stock cooler. So I have it in good faith if Sam says the Hyper212 is very basic, it was a waste of money.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, having owned both I can say they're the same size. There was an old Core 2 stock cooler that was big, but with the move to 45nm, the coolers were shrunk in half, and amazingly, still do their job even on quad cores.

4. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

sorry i dont mean to be a pain, I know what your suggestion is, but in canada i think (iirc) the price for the noctua 92mm is approx $90 canadian after tax and the 120mm is reaching close to $120 after tax. (these are not online prices though, because Im looking to pick something up on tuesday.

That being said, I dont want to keep pressing on the hyper212, but would there be a gain in performance in adding an optional $10 fan to it? That would mean 2x120mm fans on the hyper 212? for around 45 bucks. Im just wondering if the Noctua's are really worth more that double the price of the 212, (keeping price vs performance in mind).

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You will get mugged for buying a CPU cooler in a shop, you should really buy it online. Even the 120mm Noctua is only $73-$80 on newegg. Adding a fan to the 212 won't help as it's the cooler itself that underperforms, not so much the fan. The Noctua cooler is more than twice as capable, but less than twice the price (last I looked). Your call, really. You will do fine with the coolermaster for basic overclocking, but to get good speeds the Noctua is the only way to get there.

6. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Assuming all the fittings are intact, not at all. Just beware you may need to buy some new thermal paste and thermal paste cleaner to remove the existing material and put new stuff on.

8. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

Hey Sam, i was talking to a friend who said the Corsair 450w wont be enough and I should have gone with a 550w or something.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think I"ll be fine with the 450? Im running 1 hard drive, 1 optical, the 4850 GPU, and maybe 2 extra fans in the case (totalling 4 for on the antec 300).

Should I be nervous or tell the guy to stick it..lol.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This happens a lot. Unfortunately most people have no idea how Power Supplies work, and think you need a vast amount of power to run even a basic PC system. To give you an idea, a standard high-end CPU, a 4850 and one hard drive when running at maximum performance will use approximately 180 Watts of power. The only reason to buy the 550W unit is if you wanted an extra PCI express power connector so you could later add another graphics card.

10. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

PHEW! thanks for that. I'm once again comfortable. I was starting to get a little worried about how I would have to ship it back and get a larger one etc.

I have zero plans on adding any additional graphics cards. Maybe a couple extra fans and fan controller down the road. But thats pretty much it.

Cant wait to get home now. Your know whats funny is all this is the easy part. My biggest hurdle through this whole process is how to save money on getting Win 7 pro x64....I cant imagine paying $150-350 for it. :(

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Become a student :p

12. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

13. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

Editing out my last post, since i built the system last night. The quesitons I had are no longer relevant.

I did have one more question about the bios settings:

Is there anything critical I need to know about the bios? Ie, "MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS, OR CHANGE THIS TO..."...etc.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your PC works as it should, you shouldn't need to even enter the BIOS unless you're overclocking.

15. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

Well, Im all done everything now. I got all the hardware installed in the new box the other day. but just now finished configuring/installing all my apps etc. What a difference this windows 7 is. I have always been used to using XP, never touched vista.

Anyways, I just wanted to see what your thoughts are on my results from the windows7 Performance assessment. Im trying to find out if these numbers are below/above what they should be. All settings are stock and havent screwed around with any overclocking or anything.

Here are the numbers i get after running the test twice:

Processor: 7.3
    RAM: 7.5
    Graphics: 7.3
    Gaming graphics: 7.3
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Good or no?

Oh PS - just wanted to thank you guys and this forum for the help. Everything went smooth as butter. Its a very simple thing to build a new pc after I've now done it once. lol.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks fine to me :p

17. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Noctua NH-U9...This cooler is a little bit tricky to install...It took me quite a lot of time to attach both fans along the edge of the heatsink...Because you have to use two strings provided for each of the fans and tie them up...I am not sure if I did it right. But like what SAM said, it is a good heatsink, I love it. But I didn't really pay attention to how it works...