1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to build a new computer heres some parts. Help a noob out :)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andmill11, Sep 23, 2007.

1. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

haha computer's already built. Thanks though for actually reading from the beginning.

*edit*

Oh as for the seagate thing i used to have a 250GB HDD from seagate and it broke within about 2 weeks of BARELY being used. Then i went ahead and bought a 180-ishGB HDD from seagate and that stopped working after about 7 months of normal use. Switched to a 40 gig Maxtor (Major downgrade but it came out of my own pocket) and it worked for 4 years. Well it STILL works actually i just dont use it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh funny that, although I never had any issues with the one maxtor I own, they're louder than most drives, and there was a huge bach of drives they made that are prone to fires...

3. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

haha well like i said it was in my old computer and that computer was louder than a room full of monkeys

However it also happens that the 2 fans in the case could of REALLY used some lube. That and a piece of plastic was hitting against one of them creating a constant "card in the bike tire" effect.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  4. morguex

morguex Guest

Hey Sammorris, you really gotta try Hellgate:London, I really like this game. Might have to say goodbye to Guild Wars for awhile and play this one.

And for h/d's I really like samsungs and seagates, both are nice and quiet.

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Wow, my friends HP has a Samsung drive thats so loud and its barely a year old.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My maxtor has been doing good so far. I think they really have improved now.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Samsung drives have been widely regarded as the quietest if mounted properly for a good 5 years, the problem with your friend's PC is obviously that the hard disk is mounted on cheap plastic. Because Samsung drives vibrate more than other units, they will be incrediby loud if mounted on something cheap. In a bog-standard PC, that's pretty much a given.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Its not the vibration I hear, its actually the seeking that I hear but it could be that the case is made badly and the seeking sound is amplified by the case.

9. REAM

REAM Guest

even so, try using rubber mounts and see if it makes a difference

10. morguex

morguex Guest

Thats why I love my antec p182, triple layer construction on all panels and silcone mounts on the drives, no vibrations and whisper quiet. It's alittle pricey at 160.00, but well worth it.

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

12. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

13. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I think it only would if you line the air vents with it, if you line just the casing then it should be fine and I would use small pieces of foam to secure the hard drive tray better, not on the hard drive itself or any other PC component.

14. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

New question!

When i run SpeedFan it says that my core temp is 42 degrees and its in red like its a bad temperature.

Is 42 too hot? It doesnt seem like it would be.

15. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Dont think so, is it a Core2? My celeron D is 33-34 while playing videos from realplayer,2 Firefox, Rapidshare upload, 2 AIM, (a 25%ish CPU Load) Then again, my case is open.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No, that's about right for a Core 2 Duo on a stock cooler.

17. morguex

morguex Guest

andmill1, 42c is fine, If you want it to run cooler you could get a freezer pro 7 or a xp-90 after market cooler. I never see temps above 32c on my duo core, but I use a xp-90 with a quiet 92mm fan.

18. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

19. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

It looks fine but I heard from someone that if you get the wireless card that is the same series as your wireless router it performs better. I don't know how true that is though. About the 3 antennas, I have no idea why its there. What model is your wireless router?

20. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Its a linksys WRT54G. The mirror linksys wireless card is 60-90$ and it cant really make that much of a difference really. Ohh! The linksys speedbooster thing. My router isnt compatible with it for whatever reason so it wouldnt make a difference really.

I heard you could install a new firmware on the router? Is this true? and what is it called. Im sure i could find it..