1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to build a new computer heres some parts. Help a noob out :)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andmill11, Sep 23, 2007.

1. morguex

morguex Guest

I've got a 8800gts and I'm more than happy with it. I play most game at 1680x1050 and they all run smooth and fast. (F.E.A.R. , Crysis, etc.)

But i'm gonna sell it in the spring and get a 9800gtx, but then by spring time they will probaly have a 10800gtx, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2007
  2. morguex

morguex Guest

P.S.
    But for around 270.00-290.00, The 8800GT is a real nice card.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just because the 8800GTS is nice unfortunately doesn't make it a worthwhile investment any more, the GT is faster but yet cheaper, not to mention quieter and cooler (in the thermal sense, not appearance lol)

Since he wants to run games on Vista, the X1950 pro is out since that's not a DX10 card, but the 8600GTS while a decent card (unlike the 8600GT) probably won't be able to keep the pace, I'd say an 8800GT.

4. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Alright so i uninstalled and reinstalled the sound card drivers and my speakers still sound like someone is blowing into a microphone on them. I plugged the speakers into the t.v and they work great no problems. So now i think it might be something to do with the sound card itself?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Check the quality of the connection to the plug on your sound card, there may be a loose contact. That can cause that noise, if you can't get the noise to stop even momentarily, check if your microphone playback is turned on. If so, mute it.

6. morguex

morguex Guest

Check to make sure the card is seated properly in the pci slot.

7. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

I only hear the noise when i adjust the volume or even if i just press down on the volume knob (i dont even turn it i just touch the speaker itself)

Plugged it into my PSP just now and it works great in their too.. Im clueless?

All i did was restart the computer!

8. morguex

morguex Guest

well try this, unistall all the drivers with windows add/remove programs, remove the card and try a diffrent pci slot, reboot computer and re-install the drivers.

See if that works

9. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Ugh i just took it apart to install my wireless card that just came today :(

It works amazingly well BTW. Very happy with it so far. Guess ill have to try that now..

10. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

I switched PCI slots and un-installed/re-installed the drivers for both slots and it still makes the scratching noise.

Should i return it to newegg or anymore suggestions?

11. morguex

morguex Guest

I would get hold of newegg and RMA the card.

sounds like it defective.

12. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

I wonder how it broke just by restarting the computer?

I even restarted it the correct way (which is a rare)

*edit*

I just looked a reviews for the product and apparently if you ever plug in a mic to the computer and then dont use it anymore it acts as if the mic is still their and the line-in thing is ALWAYS on. The only way to remedy it is to plug in a microphone and leave it muted. Ya uhm NO THANKS!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  13. morguex

morguex Guest

Well I would say thats a big defect, send it back. If you really need a mic, get a usb one.

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I told him all of this and I think hes going to go with a 512 MB XFX 8600 GTS.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well if he expects to play all the top titles in DX10 at top settings, he'll be thoroughly disappointed.

16. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

I agree.

Anyways back to my problem im working on installing the on-board sound right now.

oh and whats a RAID controller?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A RAID controller is a chip / board that controls hard drive interfaces (IDE or S-ATA). It is called a RAID controller, as it can control the hard drives through RAID system as well as just separate drives. RAID is a means of combining multiple hard drives into one 'super drive', with differing effects depending on what type of RAID is used.
    RAID0 for example will give you all the storage of the drives, with a massive increase in speed, but if one hard drive were to fail,all data would be lost. RAID1 only gives you half the normal amount of storage, but you could lose a disk drive and your data would be unaffected. Higher end RAID cards offer RAID5, RAID6 and RAID10, which are mixtures of the two, and generally more effective. However, these are typically only found on high end motherboards, or on dedicated PCI, PCI-X or PCI express cards.

18. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Well that would make sense as to why everytime i boot up it says it cant detect one.

I switched over to on-board sound and it works amazingly. I actually think it sounds at least twice as good as it did before. Weird. Im definitely returning the sound card though thats just absurd.

19. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

His monitor isnt the greatest (1024x768 max rez) so it won't be that hard to run things at max.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member