1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to Build a New Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Mackles, Dec 22, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I just said, I don't know, as I use an external USB sound card. Have a look around and see what info you can find.

2. Mackles

Mackles Member

I found out the deal with the sound cards sam.

After reading the reviews on newegg i have found that the Fatal1ty edition X-Fi Extreme Gamer card does NOT have front panel jacks. BUT the REGULAR X-Fi Extreme Gamer edition card DOES have them. What was creative thinking by not putting front panel support on their upgraded version of the card...

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, that's Creative for you I suppose. Various different articles I read suggest you need to buy a cable to do it even if you do own the right card.

4. Mackles

Mackles Member

5. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

You're wasting your money buying the i7 right now. The way I see it, you could buy a Q6600. They are really the best value for what they can do, and you can spend the money that you'll save on a better GPU.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Except they aren't. The rest of the architecture may be more expensive, but the i7 920 is only 50% more expensive retail, and in video editing, which Mackles is doing, is actually 60% faster.

7. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I guess it would really depend on how much video editing the OP does. The actual editing portion wouldn't matter which CPU, but for the encoding there will be differences. If the OP is only doing a few minutes of video, then there will be no difference. If the OP is going to be encoding all day, then there will be a pretty large difference in the amount of work done.

For Cinema4D, either CPU is utter crap. You would need maybe 48 i7 920s to be a decent C4D build. I guess you could set them up in a cluster or something, but then you are looking at about $50,000 and a very happy Electric company :p The reason is that the i7 965 takes about 50 seconds to render 1 frame at 800x600x8. To render in High Def would probably take 5 minutes for one frame, so you are looking at 2 hours per second of video. Of course you can turn off every feature in Advanced Render Module and not use any lighting or shadows, but then what's the point of using C4D?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, either way, the i7 will still fare better than the C2Q...

9. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

But theyre SO expensive right now...I guess that doesn't matter here, seeing as the OP doesn't really have a budget.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The CPU isn't, it's just the motherboard and RAM, and if you encode video, you're right to pay the extra.

11. Mackles

Mackles Member

Sorry to bump but is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006 card sufficient for gaming?

And is the Antec p182 compatible with my build? Will it hold everything with plenty of room?

Also, what other cases are compatible with my build? I'm very new when it comes to cases fitting certain builds.

12. gera229

gera229 Regular member

sammoris what is video editing? I mean what do you mean by video editing? Thanks.

13. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

@Mackles,

Even the onboard audio will be sufficient for gaming.... Audio quality is as good as the worst component. If you have a typical $100 - $200 setup, then it won't make a difference. If you have a $50,000 BeoLab surround setup, then it makes sense to worry about the audio source.

@gera229,

Video Editing is just as the name suggests. It is editing video in some way. This could be anything from adding subtitles streams, merging different clips together, resizing, adding color effects, etc... It would require using a video editing software like Adobe Premier Pro, Sony Vegas, Avid, even free stuff like VirtualDubMod etc...

Video editing requires more system memory, lots of CPU strength and a good graphics card. Technically, a Workstation card would work best, but desktop cards are enough for editing. The software can actually use over 2GB of system memory depending on what you do. If you are capturing HD video, then a good Dual Core would be a minimum requirement.

The CPU plays the major role in actually encoding the final clip. Encoding has always been very heavy on the CPU and will put it under full load. Therefore, the better the CPU, the faster the encoding gets done. With the i7, they are able to process 8 threads, so encoding is much faster than C2Q. Even the i7 920 will be faster than the QX9770. Video editing can actually take advantage of multiple CPUs as well, so the more CPUs you use to encode, the faster the job gets done. Additionally, you can use networked PCs to increase encoding speed even more.

Newer software will be utilizing GPU rendering. I think the only cards that will work are Quadro cards and ATI HD 4000 series, but I could be mistaken. I have not looked into that too much. A GPU will be much faster than a CPU and will definitely give a nice speed boost.

The most CPU intensive would be 3D CAD/Animation rendering. For example, if you want to render a still frame at 4000x4000, it would take about 15 minutes with a Q6600. Also, 3D modeling will eat up any desktop graphics card you can throw at it. This is why Workstation cards are used for this. Once you get a little complex in your scenes, there is much noticeable lag when working with a desktop card. For rendering video in 3D, you would want to use a network at the very least, or you will have your PC working at 100% for days, if not weeks. There are also render farms which is a huge network of PCs that you can send your 3D scenes to and they will render it for you. This is not free, but is the best solution for someone wanting to create an animation.

14. gera229

gera229 Regular member

So like photoshop it's video editing right?

15. Mackles

Mackles Member

Think about what you just said :p

Photoshop is for editing still frames, pictures. Pictures aren't video, so technically it is not video editing, it is graphic design.

Video editing consists of programs such as Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, etc. You would be editing actual video clips. Cutting them up, changing transitions, masking this and that, adding effects, adding text, etc. You would end up rendering out into a .avi, a .wmv, a .mov, a .mp4, etc. NOT a .png or a .jpg like you might with Photo Editing in a program like Photoshop.

16. gera229

gera229 Regular member

So video editing is basically used for making videos yourself? Thanks.

17. Mackles

Mackles Member

Not necessarily making them, it's modifying them or adding EFFECTS to make them look better / different. Although i guess some could say that certain types of video editing involve creating footage.

18. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Ok with the q9550 will the video editing be smooth enough? Like sam said the i7 will do 60% faster but to me it really doesn't matter if it's still going to be smooth enough if so and I won't mind spending the extra money on the i7 if it will be fine with the q9550. Oh and also what kind of stuff to you edit in video editing? Thanks. Peace.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  19. Mackles

Mackles Member

What edition of vista do i want? I know i want 64-bit to utilize my cores and ram, but on newegg there are TONS of versions, ranging from 700$ to 80$.

Thanks

20. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Well u don't need a vista that's too expensive in my experience I didn't even need those high end vista Operating Systems. Also Ok with the q9550 will the video editing be smooth enough? Like sam said the i7 will do 60% faster but to me it really doesn't matter if it's still going to be smooth enough if so and I won't mind spending the extra money on the i7 if it will be fine with the q9550. Oh and also what kind of stuff to you edit in video editing? Thanks. Peace.