1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOOKING TO BUILD P4.....HARDWARE SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jaydeeX3, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

looking to build P4(3.0-3.2GHz) with the following....

1.UV Blue, Logisys CS888UVBL Acrylic Mid-tower ATX Case w/ 4 UV Fans, Two Front USB & Audio, Pre-Assembled!

2.Intel 3.2EGHz 1MB L2-Cache 800MHz Socket 478 P4 Microprocessor, w/ HSF, Prescott Core, Retail box

3. Maxtor 8MB 160GB 7200RPM Hard Drive, Model No. 6Y160P0, OEM

4. Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G Socket 478 ATX Mobo, 800FSB, DDR400+, AGP8x, SATA, USB2.0, 8ch Audio & GB LAN

5. *Free UPS Ground* Kingston 512MB DDR400 PC3200 184-pin Computer System Memory Module, Non-ECC (2 of these Sticks)

6. Silver Aspire ATX-AS500W 12V P4 Aluminum Power Supply w/ See-through Clear Acrylic Cover & 2 x 8cm UV Blue LED Fans, 5 Colors

7.PowerColor Radeon 9250 256MB DDR Video Card, PCI, TV-Out & DVI, R92P-LD3, Retail box.

8. Black Lite-On SOHC-5232K 52x32x52x+16x DVD/CD-RW Combo w/ Software, OEM

my question pertains to if this would be good choices for a P4 system...and do have any suggestions on anything more i need,such as a better CPU coolng fan as ive heard the Prescott's run at high temps., and sites with good deals....any help is appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why use a pci videocard if motherboard has 8x agp?? get a dvd burner instead of cd burner onless you don't burn dvds

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

thats true....and the burner i missed that i thought it was a combo drive....

4. ddp

its a dvd reader & cd burner

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

personally I wouldn't recommend Maxtor, I've had many of their drives fail. Stick to Seagate of Western Digital for good reliable HDs

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Why go with a Prescott when you can have a Northwood without a heat issue and still be able to O/C it with a good board like Asus P4P800 Deluxe. Just a 10% O/C gives you a STABLE 3.54 GHz without heat issues. You can even go to an OEM Northwood 3.4 and purchase a separate CPU fan and again with a mild 10% O/C have 3.74 GHz as your processor and have idle temps at 31c/88f instead of a 3.2 GHz Prescott with an idle temp of 51c/124f.

I also agree on AGP and not a PCI video board and getting a DVD burner instead of a combo drive.

I have never had a problem with Maxtor's but have had problems with WD drives as well as IBM drives.

Do some serious checking on pros and cons of Prescott chips and especially their boards before buying.

Try Newegg.com for Processor and Boards also.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  7. ddp

i prefer maxtors as have had problems with wd but just got a new 160gig wd with 3year warranty

8. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

yeah thats why i asked about the prescott chips cuz ive heard a lot of bad things about them....as far as heat issues....i appreciate all the input you guys gave me, and if u have anymore, please feel free to give me more suggestions....

*also i am studying right now for my "A+ certification" exam, you guys know any good material, websites, for practice test and reference material....

9. ddp

try the school of hard knocks. make certain to have lots of practical knowledge as i've seen & heard of people get their a+ certification & didn't know sweet dick all

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

One other thing... If you start your own business and have a website of your own, please make sure that your contact email address end's in your website address and not with @aol.com or the like since it’s a dead giveaway of a “newbie” business. Good luck on your test.

11. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

trust me DDP i know a good little issue of people that have it and dont know squat.....i know a lot about PC's, but ive heard people tell me "after you take the exam, forget everything you just learned, cuz most of it you wont use or see......"

matter of fact DDP, opne of my homies has his cert., but cant tell you how to back up a hard drive....or what a jumper is..... i mean that seriously too...

12. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

Thank for the info SCUBA, as hopefully i do plan on building and repairing computers for people n the future...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  13. ddp

get a diagnostic card than as it comes in handy at times

14. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

this may sound retarded but what do u mean by a diagnostic card DDP??? just curious...

15. ddp

a diagnostic card fits in your pci slot. it as leds representing different voltages & digital leds for error codes because you don't always get a error beep when starting a computer

16. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

ok DDP i heard of those ....and i will definitely invest in one of those soon....i thought you meant that the card dealt with a buisness aspect..... i posted another thread about this laptop i started working on today......if you know anything about what i posted leave me a response.... i just got into Laptop repair....and thats what the thread is dealing with...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  17. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

...the Asus p4c800-E Deluxe is still the best p4 mobo on the market in my opinion. It has the most features with the ability to go Northwood or Prescott. I love it....I too prefer Maxtor H/D's. Built over 100 computers the last year all with Maxtor and no problems......I just got my 3.0E p4 and with 512mb of ram it converts a 800mb movie with WinAvi in 15 mins. Not bad at all.......

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005