1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to buy a new tv... wow..

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 1nsan3, Apr 12, 2010.

1. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

Ok so me and the wife wre at walmart the other day.. on display they were playing Ice age 3... the movie was so damn smooth.. ive never seen a movie that smooth before.. the aspect ration was like 50,000:1 i think it had something called FLowMotion.. i think.. and it was 120hertz. We are looking to buy a new hd tv soon.. and she WANTS the tv that does that... so.. is it the flowmotion... or is it the 120hertz.. or is a higher aspect ration ( 50,000:1) better.. we seen one that was 2,000,000:1 120 hertz,, but no flow motion...

ive been searching on this forver,. and noone at walmart could help me since they didnt hardly know the diffference between an hd tv and a normal tv.

Thanks

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Depends on the size of the TV and what you want it for, but I highly recommend 120hertz it'll be less blurred in fast action scenes.

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

The 50,000:1 is the Contrast Ratio, not the Aspect Ratio. They are very different, and you can find out about AR here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/aspect_ratio

In short, Contrast ratio is the ratio of the luminance of "pristine" white to "pure" black that the system is capable of producing. You want a high Contrast ratio as you possibly can, this will give you excellent blacks/whites levels on your TV.

It's most likely that the "2,000,000:1 120 hertz" model has a better pictures as supposed to the 50,000:1 one. "Flowmotion" is just some name gimmick. 120hz is the refresh rate, and I agree with chubbyInc, you don't want anything lower than 120Hz, but anything over that (240hz) IMO is overkill.

What was the model of the TV's? Also what's your price range and what screen size are you looking for? Perhaps I can suggest something better.

4. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

the Tv was at wallmart.. i asked them about it after it was gone.. they just looked at me like i was some retard... ( only thing i hate about walmart.. they will hire any average joe off of the street.. wether he knows anything or not.

we were only stuck on how fliud the motion was in iceage 3.. not like anything normal..

but anyways i have a 42" Phillips LCD right now.. payed $1,300 a couple years ago.. we want ATLEAST a 47" LCD ( or maybe LED ) NO PLASMA ... or bigger... want to pay between $1,400.oo - $1,600.oo. BASICALLY.. the 42 will still be fore my gamming but th enew one will be for our movies.. blueray.. etc.. and if i can sneak my systems onto it every now and then ....so dont tell my wife eh lol.

Thanks guys!

5. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Lol, yeah, I get the same experience with crappy salespersons. Luckily I research the hell out of products before I buy them, so the only use I have of them is to ask if it's still in stock.

Plasmas will give you the best picture compared to almost all LED/LCD, but you probably don't want to do any gaming on it, because no company has yet permanently gotten rid of image retention/burn in issue.

Only problem I have with LED's is that they are still very reflective and expensive, but hey, Plasmas are still too, but the colors produced on an LED are just phenomenal and a lot better than a standard LCD (even the older matte finish ones that aren't reflective).

Most of LEDs are either 46" or 50"+. LG has a 47", but I don't recommend LG. And for a good LED that's above 47", your going to be looking at spending at least $2000 or more.

Under $1600:
    Sony KDL-46EX700:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...HDTV/9763172.p?id=1218170031942&skuId=9763172

Samsung UN46C6300SF:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9784657.p?id=1218173778085&skuId=9784657

If you don't mind spending a little more money for a better picture:
    Samsung UN46C6500VF:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9784408.p?id=1218173775165&skuId=9784408

For a 50+" (which will cost more than $1600 if your willing to spend):
    Samsung UN55C6300SF:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9790851.p?id=1218175548270&skuId=9790851

For best picture, I usually recommend:
    Pioneer (which is way over $2000)
    Panasonic (for plasmas, they don't have much of a selection in LCD/LED)
    Sony (past few years has slipped with their usual great picture quality, but their new LED's are excellent)
    and Samsung (which IMO currently offer some of the best Plasmas and LED's).

I'd stay away from LG, Sharp, and others. Some of the new LG's coming out soon are actually good though. With Sharp, their best TV's cost a premium (like the limited edition LED series - which has excellent picture), but most of their lower cost TV's really don't offer that great of picture quality.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of the ones I listed.

6. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

not bad.. yes no Plasma.. yea if LED's are that $$$ will wait a few more years until then. Yea those listed are nice.. probably will go with one of those...

I appreciate it alot....

Thank you!