1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to buy a notebook pc and have some questions

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mort81, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi all,

I am fairly knowledgabe about desktop pc's but don't have the foggiest idea when it comes to notebook pc's. I do want a 15.4" widescreen and 1gb memory.

I can't decide on what cpu I want. I can get one with a core duo 1.73ghz or one with a core 2 duo 1.66ghz for just a little more.

I've read reviews between the core duo and core 2 duo of equivalent speeds and the core 2 duo was a little faster but not by a significant margin. I just wonder if the core duo 1.73ghz will be faster than a core 2 duo 1.66ghz.

Also I won't be playing any games but will be watching a lot of dvd's/video's. Most notebooks in my price range only have integrated graphics but I can get a video card on one model for a little more. For video's, is a video card still going to be a better choice? I know a video card is always better than integrated graphics on a desktop pc.

So there you have it. I can buy a notebook with a core 2 duo 1.66ghz cpu and a graphics card or I can buy a notebook with a core duo 1.73ghz and integrated graphics for about $100 less all other things being the same. Help.

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

Ok well first, yes a core 2 duo is faster, becasue it has 2 cpus in the one. thus you get 1.66 and 1.66 working together to be 3.something figuretavly speaking. the video cards you can get built in, and they are worth their money trust me. and 15.4 in my opinion is to small go for the 17 if you can. Hp is whta i would recommend in the long run, their the best