1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy a small Home Theater System...any help?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Danny01, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Danny01

Danny01 Member

Hey everyone. I've recently been looking into a Home Theatre in a box system for my bedroom TV where I have all my DVD's. I'm looking for something not too overly expensive unlike a Bose, (yikes), Something no more than $150 I could probably go into $200. I was looking online and saw some good deals at local electronic stores but once again I don't know if the company has a good reputation and how well the speakers perform. I was attracted to the KLH systems. I found good reviews for them and they are under $150

I would really love it if Altec Lansing made home theatre speakers. I have their speakers on my computer and they really sound great.

I would appreciate any help guys, thanks.

-Danny

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi Danny
    Well, speakers are speakers.
    If you hook them up to a Home Theatre, then they are Home Theatre speakers :)
    But I know what you mean, you're looking for a package.
    If you have 5.1 PC speaker system (and PC is in your bedroom) you could use those speakers for TV/DVD - all you would need is small A/V receiver.
    The smallest receivers are ~$199 (Cdn/Aus) or about $150 bucks US, so will cost more than a little 'theatre in a box' but better quality & expandability...
    The speakers in the H T in a B are a lot like PC speakers in that they are probably self-powered.
    Bass is where the big $$ are (is?)
    So, if you don't have a gymnasium-sized bedroom you will probably be happy with a small package, hopefully from quality brand-name.
    When you are shopping, pay close attention to the 'woofer' box (AKA sub-woofer, but this more accurately describes a unit with a 100Hz low-pass in a hi-fi application).
    In a small H T in a B, the unit handles ALL the bass.
    Set it up carefully in your room, in the corner, and a small system will sound nice.
    So good luck,
    Regards
    BTW this should prob be posted in 'Home Theater' but, WTF ;-)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Keep 'em running good! PCs run the marathon, not a sprint...

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  3. Danny01

Danny01 Member

THere's a Home Thatre forum?! Didn't see it! Well, I already have a DVD player and I was thinking of just getting the speakers. I've seem some from Sny, RCA, etc. They have numerous inputs so I can just hook up my DVD player and maybe my satellite receiver.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004