1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy an External DVD writer, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrtrez, Sep 24, 2004.

1. mrtrez

mrtrez Member

Hi people, I currently have a toshiba laptop(XP) with a dvd writer. Im looking to buy and external dvd writer because my current writer will only burn at 1X, need something a little faster(at least 4X).

I want something that is reliable and not too expensive. Is there any external writers that you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As long as you're going with a USB burner, you might as well go the dual-layered route. I like NEC or Pioneer (Pioneer will burn faster that other dual-layered burners).

The prices are coming down on Dual-layered media. It was $18.00 ea, then, $15.00 ea now it's at $10.00 ea (USB) all in just 2 1/2 months. It will still burn -R or +R media and the best burning speed of 4X (and of course it will go faster but no one does it unless they take chances) But when the dual-layer discs do come down you'll be all set.

Just a thought - I've found that when burning DVD's it's nice to have plenty of room - you can get a decent 200GB HD for about $79.00 to $89.00 (USB), put in a case ($29.00) and you'll be set to fly -

Just a thought -

Cheers,

Pete

3. mrtrez

mrtrez Member

Thanks for the advice scubapete. I will definately look at the Pioneers. I was thinking about getting a dual layer burner a while back but I almost talked myself out of it because of the media cost. But you are right, it is dropping fast and it would be nice to have one.

As for the hard drive, I recently bought me an external 250gb hard drive:)

Thanks again

4. mrtrez

mrtrez Member

Scubapete, I have a question for you. This writer here http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent
    when looking at the DVD-R and DVD+R media, it will only write at 4X for the +R media and not for the -R? I currently have a bunch of -R media but would like to be able to burn at 4X. So, if I understand the specs right, I would have to buy +R media in order to burn at 4x correct? Do you recommend -R or +R media.

Thanks

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mrtrez,

You're going to have to learn to look a little closer - That burner will burn either X4 or X8 speed depending on the media. If you have 4X media, it burns at 4X - if you have 8X media, it burns at 8X

It burns either -R, -RW OR +R, +RW

It also burns CD's

Cheers,

Pete