1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get ipod,do I have to download from itunes?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by nyblue_71, May 19, 2005.

1. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

I was hoping someone could help me. I have alot of mp3's on my hard drive. I was looking to get either an ipod or something similar. Do I have to download from itunes in order to upload music,or can I upload anything on my hard drive to an ipod? Not sure which type of player I want. Can someone educate me on the differences on the mp3 players and the different methods of uploading music. Thanks.

2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi nyblue,
    You can upload anything on your hard drive to an ipod and also any cd albums can be ripped to your ipod,As for the difference between mp3 player and ipod all i can say is i have the apple ipod and it rocks,I don't think there will be much difference from an mp3 player it just might not be so interactive with the net.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes, you unfortunately must have itunes in order to upload mp3s to your ipod

4. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks. Now I am confused. One of you say I can upload anything on my hard drive to an ipod and the other says I must have itunes to upload mp3's to an ipod. Who's right? I appreciate your responses,just need soem clarification. Thanks again.

5. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi nyblue
    We both are right You can upload anything on your hard drive or from cd although you have to use the itunes software to upload.You don't have to download from itunes.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  6. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks! I think I got it. From what I read I now assume I need itunes software downloaded to my pc in order to upload any music whether It's from my hard drive,cd or if I purchased mp3's directly through itunes,correct? Now, wouldn't the purchase of a new ipod come with the itunes software? I also imagine the other mp3 players work similarly to the ipods,except they use different software to upload mp3's? Thanks so much for the education. I was a little confused before you answered my thread.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes that is correct. when you purchase an ipod it does come with itunes (It must, or else users wouldn't have any way of transferring their music). If you do get an ipod that doesn't come with itunes for some reason, you can always download it online for free, from some place like download.com. Some other players require special software, like for example I know that sony portable players require their own proprietary software. There are a few really good players however (I think Creative models do this) where you can plug your player into your computer and it just shows up as a drive in your my computer. so you can just simply drag and drop files in your easy to use windows explorer.

8. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

You dont need itunes to upload music to your ipod,,,, itunes is just for the public.. all you have to do is open my computer, and click and drag mp3s to it..

9. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I don't have an ipod but my friend at work used WMP to add files to his.

10. williej

williej Regular member

I have 2 creative nomad jukebox 2s and i would recommend them over an ipod simply because of cost. you can get your feet wet for under $75 bucks off eBay if you play your cards right. I love being able to repair units myself ... and I can't upgrade the hard drive in some of these MP3 units. in the nomad? i am aiming at the 60-80 gig range. all i need is a good (preferably new) laptop HD and i am in biz. Just my two centz ...

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what version/model ipod does your friend have, because I was under the impression the only way to add files was via itunes. perhaps thats just for the suckers that use macs though.

12. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Once again thanks for everyones input. I will try everyones suggestions once I make my decision on which mp3 player I want to buy. I know the ipod is the popular one but I agree it is quite pricey. I heard they can store thousands of songs on it though.

13. matt72

matt72 Regular member

I own an ipod and I can say you can use a multitude of programs to store music on it. The itunes software basically allows you to change the title of the song(tag it), create a playlist based on your preferences and rate the song. Only downfall I see with the ipod is the lithium battery only has about a 12 hour charge and its not removeable. Oops forgot to mention I have the 20g ipod and definitely I have about 4,000 mp3s stored on it. I would also suggest you don't buy songs from itunes online simply because they use some type of protection so you can't constantly move the mp3 file back and forth to different players.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  14. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

hi,

if i was told to go out and buy an i-pod i would come back with a CREATIVE ZEN, for numerous reasones, like, longer battery life, cheaper, looks better, easier to use and so on. there are lots of threads debaiting what is best from the i-pod to the CREATIVE ZEN, do a search if you want to see any.

!!thecraigc!!

15. williej

williej Regular member

I will admit ... the Zen is the way to go. It does everything the ipod does, except it doesn't heat up and there's not a class-action lawsuit against Apple for the bad batteries. If you want to pay for the name, cool ... but the Zen does the same thing for nearly half the price.

Attempting to 'upgrade' my Nomad Jukebox 2 from 10gb to 60gb. Wish me luck ... I will keep you posted ...

Willie J

16. .//bodom

.//bodom Guest

Neph says I need to better the world by sitting in a tub of gasoline and torching myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005
  17. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay after seeing you post this crap AGAIN, its obvious you are a spammer, so enjoy getting banned :)