1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to make some minor upgrades...

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by c2sellit1, Dec 22, 2004.

1. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I currently own a 32" apex pf3220 in my dorm and am looking for some cheap nice upgrades, My first obvious choice would be to use s-video cables over analog or composite and what would be some good audio cables? I seen the monster a/v cables but was curious as if their was much of a difference in sound since it is coming out from the television.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...537&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:121791:4537

Browsing through would these be suitable or should I look for something else?????

People point me into the right direction

Another question in relation is are monster cables that much better or is it all sales hype?????

So would s-video cable and maybe a nice pair of THX audio cables be suitable?

Anyone got any suggestions???? Im looking for the best quality possible at the cheapest price for a college student.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  2. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Hey those phillips look like a very nice buy for the money! I'm tempted!

Switching from composite to an S-Video cable is the best, cheapest upgrade you can do! One step up from that is going to component cables. But the improvement you will get going from composite to S-Video is actually very big!!!!!

Monster cables are nice but are probably no better than the Phillips cables you are looking at there. In fact these look pretty darn nice! OFC, gold plated termination, and chrome plated termination.... sounds good to me. Monster cable will be about the same and you would really be paying for the name. And besides, it's coming from your TV so save the high end ($80+) cables until you have the equipment that you "might" notice a difference.

Another "marketing hype" is buying something labled..."THX"... don't bother... THX is not a product. It can't "improve" anything. It's just a stamp of certification. One that seems to cost a lot more money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2005
  3. p5yco

p5yco Guest

for analogue stereo audio cables these makes are highly regarded and probably better than phillips: van den hul, chord company, black rhodium, ecosse, qed and ixos. these are well worth checking out if you can afford them. cant you have a scart connection via an rgb signal? that connection is even better than s-video as long as you buy from a reputable company such as those already listed.