1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lossless help please.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by damo_red, Jan 21, 2006.

1. damo_red

damo_red Member

Not sure if its good to post this here, if not no probs but...

Does anybody now of any good places to get hold of lossless music. MP3 is doing my head the vocals are totally lost on the mjaorty of rips behind the music.

being student i canrt afford to buy all my CDs, but i buy a lot as long as the albulm is good, but when you pay full wack for a new albulm like the dakness new albulm or the babbyshambles which in my opinon are very poor albulms its guttering.

thx in advance damo

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Some P2P apps have albums in lossless format but not many. At the moment MP3 is the leading format.

3. damo_red

damo_red Member

i know, should not be MP3 sounds real bad on a proper sound system.

what p2p programs, havent used them since the days of morphious and Kazza. would rarther not touch them, full of viruses and corupt files.

do you no of any torrents or RIC channels.

i have found a few but you need an invite.........No luck as of yetr either

4. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

try soul seek. its a P2P app that shares only music. the majority of it is either mp3 or that evil wma format, but you can find some mp4 and flac files. I think the reality is that simply its going to be at least a couple more years until mp3 and other lossy formats get phased out for lossless formats.

6. damo_red

damo_red Member

ok will check that soul seek out. question has it got any spyware etc.

will continue to look for invites, it just seems people want something in exchange which i dont have...not a member of many sites.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

no soul seek has no adware/spyware

8. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Wonder how long it will be till MP3 is overtaken. I hope it isn't long as I really want a format that is lossless and gapless. Maybe FLAC will see a rise in popularity in the coming years.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I think it all depends on the hardware. It seems like just now all the portable mp3 and car stereo mp3 players are becoming popular, yet the mp3 format has been around for a decade already. Hopefully soon the next generation of players will start supporting newer formats such as FLAC and mp4, and then older formats like mp3 will start getting phased out...

10. damo_red

damo_red Member

FLAC is what im lookig for. will get the P2P prgram today and have a go.

11. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

FLAC will be excellent once it becomes popular. And with HDD increasing there will be lots of space for people to store these files

12. freshguy

freshguy Member

I either FLAC it or I go APE. To my ears, 95% or more of the music that I encode using FLAC or Monkey's Audio formats sound noticably better than MP3 or AAC.

*Disclaimer:
    The opinion above expresses the view of the person making this reply. It does not necessarily reflect the view of AD or any other entity in this galaxy. Please read as if obligatory IMO preceeds all other text.

13. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I'd go with FLAC if I was you.

14. damo_red

damo_red Member

Tried the software out. there wasent much there in FLAC format. FLAC is my desired format,i use my PC as my sound system and i hear the differnce in flac and Mp3 everytime.

Will continue to look, i have the software to convert a WAV file from a CD to a FLAC file. i just could really do with a good place to download the files aswell, i buy a lot of music but some stuff i only download and MP3 is pathetic.

probally wrong place to ask but does any one have an invite to "oink" or somewehre where i can get hold of these files. i have asked in the correct forums but as i dont downlad much i dont have any invites to other sites and it seems people only want to trade.

Thx damo

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you're not going to find FLAC files floating around the net. It is a relatively new and unpopular format. I've used soulseek for years, and have only come across a few FLAC albums. So don't rely on downloading for getting your FLAC files...you will have to create them yourself from your CDs.