1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lossless / Near Lossless Real Time Capture Codecs

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by mdsouza, Feb 16, 2005.

1. mdsouza

mdsouza Guest

Anyone know of any other good real time lossless or near lossless codecs out there? (prefer directshow codecs)

I'm already doing some testing with Huffyuv and PICVideo Mjpeg. The codecs also should be good for doing editing in premiere and/or Virtual Dub.

Thanks!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are only 2 Truely Lossless Codecs that I know of (Unless you are editing in DV but that isn"t truely Lossless) and they are HuffYUV and the Alparysoft Lossless Codec but HuffYUV is the Best but you will need a LOT of Disk Space to capture and edit in a Lossless format Like about 500mb per Minute of Full Resolution video....

Cheers

3. mdsouza

mdsouza Guest

Thanks. I don't actually need a 100% lossless codec, just a near lossless codec for archival / editing purposes.

Most of my video is 320 x 240, 30 fps, YUY2 uncompressed, which ultimately is destined for the Internet, (WM9, RV9, Mpeg-4)

At this resolution and framerate (with the source I am using) I have a filesize of 15.4 GB uncompressed for an hour of video or 6.90 GB with HuffYUV (2.1x compression). But I was really impressed with the PICVideo Mjpeg which was was incredibly crisp at the 19 Quality setting and returned a file size of 3.16 GB per hour (4.9x compression).

Reducing quality to 16 did create some barely noticeable discrepancies but increased compression to nearly 10x.

Not sure what I will ultimately go with but all my real time captures came back with good A/V sync and few to none dropped frames and I'm sure if I defrag my drives I can get those to zero consistently.

I'll also be checking editing in Premier Pro, 6.x and in Vdub next.

If you can think of any comparable near lossless codecs I'd like to try those too.