1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lossless VOB to DVD (with ch menu) program?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KillerBug, Feb 19, 2007.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I need a program that works like nero vision, taking several different VOB files, combining them on one disc, and making a menu to decide what episode it starts on.

The only thing is, i don't want it re-compressing my vob files. Nero vision trippled the size of my vob file, and it looked worse than before.

So i need a combination of Nero Vision & VideoReDo Plus...anyone found this?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Are you sure NeroVision tripled the size of your VOB files? Did you by chance have an AVI file you made DVD compliant with Nerovision? A three-fold or more increase in size would occur from going from AVI to DVD compliant mpeg2. There isn't any reason for Nerovision to increase the size of a VOB file if the VOB (mpeg2) file already exists.

If your files exceed what a DVD5 can hold and you elect to not use a DVD9, compression will have to occur regardless of what program you use.

An alternative to Nerovision is TMPGEnc DVD Author. I'd suggest version 1.6 which is fully functional in trial version mode. I haven't yet tried the newest version 3 so I don't know if it's trial mode is fully functional or not.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Yes, I am sure the file trippled in size, to about the size it would be if I had not already compressed it. The old version of Nero Vision allowed me to add these files without re-compresssion, but it kept crashing so I had to update to the latest version. For some reason, the latest version treats VOB files just like avi, it converts them to it's own format and then to VOB.

I'll try out tmpgenc, see if that does what I tell it to.

-edit-

I d/l TMPgenc...seems to do what I want, but it tells me combined bitrate is too high, and the disc won't work on dvd players. I even tried with a disc aleady working with my dvd player, it said the same thing. Seems like it wants me to use 2ch audio instead of 5.1ch, because it gives me this error only with files that have 5.1 sound.

Maybee it is just that my playstation 2 can read faster than 9800k/s, so it does not care (or perhapse some DVD players won't do 5.1?)...but it seems like any dvd player made in the past 5 years should do the same, even if it is only of those $30 units.

Despite the warning message, the DVDs work great. I still use nero to burn the image, but TMPGENC, VideoReDoPlus, DVDAuthorGUI, & DVDShrink do all the hard work...maybee I'll get NTI so I can forget about nero forever...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007