1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost HD password (using xboxhd)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by MrDees, Oct 28, 2007.

1. MrDees

MrDees Member

Ok, so my xbox died, wouldnt power on at all. I had a 250gig HD in it that I wanted to move over to my 2nd xbox. I figured all i had to do was run the xboxhd tool, unlock the drive with the eeprom from my first xbox, then lock the drive with the eeprom from my 2nd xbox. Well that didnt work. I was able to successfully unlock the drive, but when I locked it and put it in my 2nd xbox, it wouldnt load. So I got creative and ran the option (in xboxhd) to read the HD info on the original drive from the 2nd xbox. I wrote down the locking password and then tried to manually lock the 250gig hard drive by typing in that password. It did lock, but didnt work in the xbox. So i went in and tried to unlock the drive by typing in that same password, doesnt work! So now the drive is locked and I cant get it unlocked! If anyone could please help me out it would be great.

Thanks

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

This is exactly the reason why i stress that you NEVER DO THAT!!!

If the builtin locking utility in XboxHDM isn't working or the Xbox isn't accepting it, it's something that YOU are doing, not the software!

Luckily for you there are master reset codes.

Run ATAPWD and use the password 'XBOXSCENE' without the quotes...

3. MrDees

MrDees Member

I'll try that tonight when I get home

Thanks for the reply

4. MrDees

MrDees Member

I tried using the Master password, it now says "error - command rejected by drive" when i try it. I tried it in caps and lowercase, no luck :(

The status shows as follows:

S E L F X V
    + + + - - h

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Read my tutorials, I have an unlocking guide!

6. MrDees

MrDees Member

I just tried MHDD, it would not take any of the 3 suggested passwords. It is a Western Digital drive so I assume the Seagate tools would not work. Any other ideas? I'm totally lost on this. If it helps, I have the password written down that I used to lock the drive. I attempted to use it to unlock the drive but maybe I was doing it wrong cause it wouldnt work for me.

Thanks so far for your help.

7. MrDees

MrDees Member

UPDATE:

I managed to unlock the drive. I tried a few variations of the code I wrote down and after many many attempts of trial and error I managed to basically guess the code correct, whew! So that gets the drive unlocked, however it doesn't help me with the situation of locking it so it will work in the 2nd (replacement) xbox. The first attempt at doing this (as written in my original post) I did in fact use the eeprom found in the "backup" folder on the 2nd xbox's original drive. Not sure why that wouldn't have worked. So for my 2nd attempt, I booted up the 2nd xbox, ran the backup command found in the dash, then re-FTP'd the eeprom over and recreated the xboxhd disc, still no luck. Its as if I am not getting the correct eeprom file from the original disk. So I FTP'd the entire E: to my PC, ran a search for "eeprom" and the only one found is the one I've been using. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help on this.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ok, we have you where you need to be now!

1) Only use the XboxHDM unlock\lock tool!

I'm assuming you are using the EvoX backup tool? Check where it says it's going to dump the eeprom.

Go and get the eeprom from that location and check it with LiveInfo. The serial number will match the one on the sticker underneath your Xbox if it's correct.

Use my HDD Upgrade tutorial to show you how to lock it correctly.

If it's right it'll work, if it's wrong it will give you an error 6.

If you can't get it to lock, tell me what the issue is and I'll guide you through!

;)

9. MrDees

MrDees Member

Here's what I tried last night. I hooked up the original drive to the xbox, FTP'd in and deleted the eeprom.bin file from the backup folder. Then went into the EvoX dash and ran the backup tool, sure enough it recreated the eeprom.bin file. I was able to verify it was the same eeprom.bin I had used before (for setting up my 250gig HD) which did NOT work. This doesnt make any sense to me. The eeprom being backed up from the original drive is not allowing me to successfully lock the new drive.

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You have to give me the info if you want me to help you...

What did LiveInfo say?

11. MrDees

MrDees Member

when I load the eeprom into LiveInfo, it gives me a message saying

"The XBE & Video Region is incorrect!

Please select a valid region from the list"

I have tried all 6 regions and still get that message. Anyways, the serial number is showing all 0's