1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost keyboard files

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by efkirk, Jan 29, 2008.

1. efkirk

efkirk Member

Hi, this is my first time using afterdawn forums. The problem I am having is that I do have another PC and I was online when the screen froze up. I had to reboot it manually. However, the keyboard does not work at all and when I hit any key on the keyboard it also freezes up the mouse pointer. There is a signon password that I must use to get on to the administrator account but I cannot use it because of the problem. I can sign on using the guest account but still cannot type nor point. There is nothing wrong with the keyboard because I am using it now as I type but on a different PC. Is there anyone that can assist me or point me to a website where I can download software or something that will allow me to use a keyboard and mouse with that PC?

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Are you running Vista by any chance? I had this same problem, so I looked in task manager and found that 2 ASUS exes were freezing the pc when I pushed a key.

You could use the on screen keyboard located at all programs>accessories>accessibility>on screen keyboard

Then, you could try downloading the drivers for your keyboard from the manufactures web site.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another mouse as a customer had a similar problem & that resolved the problem.

4. efkirk

efkirk Member

thanks Waymon 3x6, I tried the onscreen keyboard and it did not work. No I am not using windows vista, it is xp sp2. I did not see any ASUS in the task manager. I went to device manager and it seems there is no driver for the keyboard, I am still at a loss.

ddp, I have tried a different mouse and the same thing has happened. there is no driver for the keyboard and I cannot type anything to get updates. Thanks for your thought.

5. ddp

go into safemode & see if keyboard & mouse works there.

6. efkirk

efkirk Member

I have gone into safe mode and no difference...the same thing happens. Maybe I am a bad boy. But it seems that i cannot do anything for it.

7. ddp

can you go into & thru the bios with no problem?

8. efkirk

efkirk Member

I can get to it but i am not much of an expert with it.

9. ddp

just want to see if can move around using the cursor keys, prees esc to get out of a section & press enter to get into a section. trying to see if is a hardware as in motherboard issue or software as in windows issue. do you have a spare hd or can borrow 1 to load windows on to see if is a hardware or software issue.

10. efkirk

efkirk Member

I have this pc but there is only one monitor, however, in device manager it says there is no driver for the keyboard.