1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost sound control panel icon????

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by HazelB, Dec 23, 2009.

1. HazelB

HazelB Member

Not the first time I've messed up with panel icons. I lost the network connection icon once. That was with Ubuntu 8.04

This time I have somehow lost the internal audio panel analog control icon from the panel at the top of my desktop, Ubuntu 9.10

How do I get it back? I have spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Please, somebody, help me out here. This is not the first time I have messed up the panel, and have never figured out how to manipulate this important stuff.

So far, I have only managed to fix this problem by completely reinstalling. Not the most elegant solution...I feel like an idiot, which is why I have not asked for help before.

Thanks

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

right click on the panel .. look at the menu.. add to panel .. a whole list of things comes up..

select volume control and it will appear somewhere.. then right click on the icon and select move to put it where you want it.

3. HazelB

HazelB Member

I wish it were so easy, but that is the first place I looked. I couldn't find the -internal audio panel analog control- nor the -NetworkManager Applet 0.7.996- even when I expanded the custom menu.

The NetworkManager Applet 0.7.996 does have a web download in a source tarball form, but there must be an easier way. Besides, I think the applet is already installed, just the control icon is missing.

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

That's odd.. bunt is built from debian.. and this 64 system is running gnome on sid which is about as close as you can get.

Next step would be to have a look on the bunt forums and see if anybody else is having problems I guess.. I just doubled up my volume control icon.. hahaha.. now i have to take it off.

How about reconfiguring alsa?

5. HazelB

HazelB Member

Adding from the Add Panel>Notification Area should restore the 4 icons - network, power, audio, bluetooth.

All it did for me is add empty space, Notification Area 2.28.0

Oh well.

6. scum101

scum101 Guest

errr.. you have to put the bits you want in the notification area... the static ones anyway, or that's what I get from reading through the help topics.

7. HazelB

HazelB Member

Excellent, things are looking hopeful... Where are the missing static bits, though?

I have looked as best I can since the start of my quest, and don't see any of them listed in a recognizable form/name/file/device.

8. scum101

scum101 Guest

Not sure.. read through the help and experiment. I'm too busy and mine is configured very minimal.

Volume Applet 2.22.3

Volume control for your GNOME Panel.

Using GStreamer 0.10

somebody on the ubuntu forums could have answered you (if it's not directly in the FAQ) straight away..

9. HazelB

HazelB Member

I have posted there, and have gotten some information there and some from you here.

Still working to understand how to...

Thanks for your contribution.

10. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

My distribution is also Debian rather than Ubuntu, but I've had applets disappear and reappear magically, as have applications.

If a re-install fixed your initial problem, it suggests you may be having problems with updates. Also, I let Debian know what applications I added & removed, and I chose 'Smart Updates' rather than 'Old Stable' packages, which was likely a mistake.

I'm running aged Debian 'Slinky', many years old, and the Synaptic Update Manager is likely not smart enough to adjust everything just so for an old operating system and new applications, whose configuration methods have changed between old and new.

The configuration files for many aspects of the GNOME desktop have moved all around since Slinky was installed years ago and the latest applications were installed last week.

In fact, after about two weeks I noticed the 'Update Notification' stopped notifying me. So, I started up the Synaptic Package Manager, and clicked 'Reload', Edit > Fix Broken Packages, Mark All Upgrades, Apply, Edit > Fix Broken Packages.

It appeared to have been a while. In fact, I had been stressing Debian and was amazed by how robust its virtual memory was. During the update I manually imposed, many, many little-used packages (along with gedit and most of OpenOffice.org) were removed to make space, and new ones added - though no GUI text editor. (I installed Leafpad.)

Have you been running on low resources?

NOTE: When desperately short on resources, BSD Unix will, ultimately, 'kill' those processes idle for a long time in order to free the most virtual and real memory. When did you last adjust your volume control? :)

Are you running new applications on an old version of GNU/Linux, as I am? Did you tell your package manager to use its artificial intelligence to fix dependencies between old packages that use old configuration files and new packages that use newer configuration files? (Guess that's why they call it 'artificial' intelligence.) Mine could have benefited from some human intelligence. :)

In short, upgrade your OS if it's been a few years. Otherwise, run both the Synaptic package manager and apt package manager if necessary, to attempt to fix dependencies. If your package manager 'takes chances', tell it not to. I write this because the GNOME configuration files that determine where applets are found and which are placed on the top bar has been changing.

Once, a new install appeared to fix your applets. You also wrote of finding the missing one as a tar.gz binary. You should not have to go outside your own distribution's archive to find a missing application or applet; and you shouldn't have to install it when you didn't delete it. (It may be gone because of a good reason.) Consequently, I suggest you examine your package manager's settings before looking elsewhere.

Good luck.

11. scum101

scum101 Guest

Did we resolve this? .. slinky is too old to comment on.. it's old old old old old stable.. i.e the repositories have been deleted years ago.. hehehe.. but it's easy to fix anyway..

Try dpkg-reconfigure alsa

12. HazelB

HazelB Member

Thanks. I shall try that next time. I've since added some repositories I hadn't found before that seemed to resolve my install vlc depends, which caused me to fiddle with the software package manager, which had caused the problem of missing panel items.

Keeps me busy...

13. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Hey! It was new when I installed it! Just to show I'm state-of-the-art, I'm re-building a 2002 G4 Quicksilver, and I plan to install a PPC GNU/Linux (before other repositories follow SUSE and delete distributions for it). :)

No moss growing on my keyboard!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  14. scum101

scum101 Guest

Debian have an upstream ppc version.. so it's not going to die out just yet.. while things are still in experimental they have at least 2 cycles left.

a 2002 machine.. that's modern.. I call old a 286 or something.. I have a 486 running as my firewall/router.. it's been on without a reboot now for 4 years.

15. the_monk

the_monk Member

I dunno for you guys, but adding a notification area worked for me : sound and network manager applets are back :).

16. HazelB

HazelB Member

Thanks for the input. I have moved on and am anticipating the next Ubuntu the end of April.

There are sound issues with a laptop and another family desktop soundcard that I am thinking may be solved. The alpha version is looking good...

17. scum101

scum101 Guest

new ubuntu broken just like the last version.. often will not boot properly.. they have M$ disease and software patent mono dependency hell (novell.. M$ patsy.. own patents which are being usedf to intimidate people.. n00buntu is acting sheeple and following the "one click solves all" herd down the road that is VERY dangerous).. avoid..

http://boycottnovell.com/2010/03/13/andre-da-costa-in-cnet/#comment-85681

mint works nice on lappys.. so does puppy.. and dream was built to look and feel like a mac.. for the geek factor. I run debian (with the mono junk removed from gnome.. or usually these days I use a different desktop because gdm is a bloated damn thing) on all kinds of weird systems.. I don't understand why other people have so many troubles with stupid things like this..

accessories.. volume control.. drag and drop where you want ti.

18. lozu

lozu Member

Hey, if you just lost any icons from panels you can right click at any panel add choose 'add to panel'. If you just lost the icon, right click at the icon and click preference, you will see the icon as a button click that and you will see a dialog box with list of icons named png and xpm. If you have lost the app, all should be in /usr/share/applications.

19. chknbut

chknbut Member

Upgraded to the new version. After one day my sound icon disappeared. I found out what the cause was and how to fix it. They grouped together the bluetooth indicator, the volume control and the mail control all in one applet. So to get your volume control back you right click/add to panel/indicator applet. Presto there it is.

:cheers

20. HazelB

HazelB Member

That solution didn't work for me. I have switched to Mint 8 and am quite happy.